Tropical Fish Keeping banner

41 - 60 of 165 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Bear in mind, tetras are community fish and do best in minimum groups of 6 (your neons included). Without those minimums, they can become aggressive toward each other, shy, destructive, you name it. Hopefully as your tank matures, you can fill out those schools. Even expand them beyond the minimum. Cories are the same way - they need at least 6 to be healthy and happy.
Yep. Ive been told 5 of each tetra and 4 or 5 Cory's. I actually had 5 neons already but two had died. They were from Walmart. So I won't buy more from there, but pet smart has been out. I've mentioned before, but I'm waiting to get more Cory's until I get the sand in my tank.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
I understand this would be a problem with my neons, but how would and angelfish or two fare in our tank with the other species we have now? Down the road of course ;-)

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
I'm bad with pictures :lol: But here is one. I've rearranged the tank since this was taken, and I have black sand and plants on the way. This is from Friday while we were acclimating DF's fish to the tank, not all are in here yet:

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
I added two more cory's last night. I wanted to wait until I got the sand in, but when I went to petsmart for Gabe's bettas, I had to take a look at the other fish, and there were just two lony peppers in the tank =( I had to bring them home with us! I got my shipping notice from Petco yesterday, but the tracking numbers still haven't updated :-/ I'm really hoping it gets here soon!

Also, I'm looking into a canister filter. Does anyone have any reccomendations? I found some on eBay, but I'm just curious if there are any that are really worth it over others, or if any will work fairly well. DF also wants to add a couple angelfish. I was thinking those plus a couple gourami.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
My sand is scheduled for delivery on Thursday! I have class tomorrow to help me pass the time, and then UPS always comes right away in the morning, so I'll be able to start rinsing and hopefully have the gravel out and the sand in by Friday when I have class again.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Water has been cloudy off and on for about four days now. I test it three times a day and parameters are always where they should be, minus my high ph. I've been doing daily partial water changes, but I'm just getting frustrated...

·
Registered
6,174 Posts
Cloudy off and on, huh? That's odd. . . cloudy usually means a bacterial bloom (or new sand, excited for that!!!), and they typically last for a few days, then clear. Have you been doing extra water changes since noticing the cloudiness? If so, stop and let things settle without being touched for a few days - if it is a bacterial bloom, it should clear itself up in no time - of course, you're about to change the substrate, so you very well may get a bacterial bloom from that, as well!

Canister filters are AWESOME!!! My 55 runs on an Eheim classic, and I couldn't be happier with it - haven't looked back since getting the thing! I've read/heard a lot of excellent personal reviews on SunSun brand, too - but I've never used one. I just know that cost-wise, they're an excellent buy for this type of filter.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
I was looking at SunSun canisters on eBay last night! I'm glad you've heard good things. I can order it Friday and hopefully it'll arrive during the week so I can have it installed before DF gets home next Friday and notices :lol:

I let the water be for a couple days and it didn't clear up, so I started doing water changes yesterday and today. Yesterday I only did 5 gallons, but today I did 10. I guess it doesn't pay to worry about it right now, since I'll be ripping apart the inside of the tank tomorrow anyway!

On a happy note though, I got the water sprites you sent me today! They are floating in the tank right now, and I'll plant them in the sand tomorrow. Well, a couple. They look so beautiful floating, I am going to leave a couple up top too! :D

·
Registered
5,201 Posts
I have 4 sunsuns, of all sizes. I highly recommend them. Depending on who you buy from, they may or may not come with more than just mechanical media. One of my favorite features is the built in surface skimmer. Some come with it, while others don't. If it's something you want, just make sure that you look at the pictures to make sure it's there.

Reactions: Chesh

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
I have a bad itch to start removing the gravel tonight, but I don't want to leave the fish in a nakey tank overnight :lol: I feel like a kid waiting for Christmas day.

·
Registered
5,201 Posts
i have not read the whole thread, just from where I was linked.

I ran one of those and an XP2 on the 55 I had. More than needed, for sure, but it did what I wanted. If you were going to be stocking the tank a little on the heavy side, I would suggest stepping up to the next size up.

I have bought from that seller - would recommend them.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
i have not read the whole thread, just from where I was linked.

I ran one of those and an XP2 on the 55 I had. More than needed, for sure, but it did what I wanted. If you were going to be stocking the tank a little on the heavy side, I would suggest stepping up to the next size up.

I have bought from that seller - would recommend them.
I hope it'll be ok :lol: I don't want to stock too heavily, that's for sure! I've been using aqadvisor to kind of guide me through potential stock lists.

I ordered it. Estimated delivery date is Tuesday, so DF will be on the road and out of my hair for installation. I was already scolded for "worrying too much about the water" so hopefully he doesn't notice I ordered another new filter. He's like an 80 year old man stuck in a 30 year old's body, I swear...

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
I think I finally have my mind [potentially] made up for this tank!

Right now we have:
5 black phantom tetras
6 long fin red tetras (serpae tetras)
3 peppered corys
3 neon tetras
1 red blondie guppy (male)

I had 5 neons but 4 of out the 5 were from walmart and 2 didn't make it the first 24 hours. These are the only fish I am unsure about keeping in the tank, so I'm unsure about building them up again right now.

I am planning to get 2 more cory's this weekend once the sand is in and settled. I can't wait to see our three now get back in the tank tomorrow after the exchange!

I want to build up the red and black tetras a little more.

And I want to add a blue gourami or two.

I really, really want to have some snails, but for some reason they just don't make it in my tank, it's really disappointing, and I have no idea why :cry:

I considered kuhli loaches instead of building up the tetras more, but I don't want too many bottom dwellers :-/

·
Registered
342 Posts
Tank building is so exciting, isn't it?

·
Registered
5,201 Posts
You could easily keep a school of corys and a school of kuhli loaches in a 55. I would do 8 corys and 10 kuhlis, just to give you an idea of what the tank can sustain.

My suggestion is to branch out - you have 3 species of tetras. Why not swap one out for barbs.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
You could easily keep a school of corys and a school of kuhli loaches in a 55. I would do 8 corys and 10 kuhlis, just to give you an idea of what the tank can sustain.

My suggestion is to branch out - you have 3 species of tetras. Why not swap one out for barbs.
Should I be worried about not having "top" level swimmers though? While looking and planning a stock list, I noticed a lot of places say to make sure to have bottom, middle, and top level swimmers so certain areas of the tank don't make fish feel overcrowded. My thought with the gourami was that is would add something to the top. I have no problem swapping out my neons for something else, I just can't find much that is claimed to like the top of the tank to "even things out" so to speak. Is this something anyone else really worries about? Or am I being crazy listening to things like this. I kind of like the Tiger Barbs ;)

·
Registered
5,201 Posts
Tiger barbs are a risk - if you don't mind if it doesn't work out, then you could certainly get them. Some people have a hard time getting rid of fish.

I think some dwarf neon rainbows would be a good addition for top water swimmers. I would limit the tank to 4 schools - 1 for the top, 2 for the middle and 1 (or 2 with the kuhlis) for the bottom. Kuhlis have a very low bioload and their behavior allows then to be added yet not make it overcrowded.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
My only problem with stocking is my options are limited to buying from Petsmart or possibly Petco (but I hate to drive that far). I really don't feel comfortable buying fish online.

41 - 60 of 165 Posts