Tropical Fish Keeping banner

Our freshwater

3K views 13 replies 6 participants last post by  Melissa 
#1 ·
If you can believe it we bought a 55 gallon tank. Couldnt beat the deal....tank stand and hood for 200 bucks........So what kind of fish do you think we should put in it, would love to get some ideas. We already have guppies, tetras, a bala shark, kissing gourami, betta, and some dwarf frogs. I will post some pics when its all done.

#3 ·
flatcam1 said:
How about a catfish?
( I really love Amblydoras Hancocki )
The first letter on the second word of the scientific name should always be in small letter.:)

As for suggestions, well, there are angels, discus, apistogrammas, tetras, pencilfish, hatchetfish, plecs and corydoras. I'm a South American fish fanatic.:thumbsup:

#5 ·
Hey blue can you keep a bubbler with live plants. MY wife said she read somewhere that its not good for the plants.

#6 ·
usmc121581 said:
Hey blue can you keep a bubbler with live plants. MY wife said she read somewhere that its not good for the plants.
Do it only at night. Plants needed the CO2 and the bubbler just removes the CO2 rendering deficiency of CO2 for plants. Plants used oxygen at night so there is competition for oxygen between the fish and plants hence the bubbler should be turned on on this one.:)

#7 ·
This was a previous post i made about angelfish

Here is my plan. Move all your platies to that tank. Use platies to cycle and you can keep them there. Then maybe get a few more female platies. Next, look at the corys, find one that you like, and get around 4-6 of them. Next, you can find some algae eaters, maybe like 3-4 otos or one brittlenose pleco. And last but not least, get Angelfish.

THe reason behind having platies in this tank is to breed them. Angelfish love other fishes fry and who's better at making babies than platies. Getting cories is also good as they can clean the bottom of your tank as well as looking very cute and funny. Getting an algae eater is self explanatory. And Angelfish are BEAUTIFUL fish, plus they do great in a higher type tank since they are normally taller instead of wide and are slow swimmers. Also Angelfish look great in a planted aquarium. You might have some room in that tank for more things but make sure they are community type fish. No newts, no bettas, and no goldfish.

I would not reccomend sharks, they arent easy to take care of, most of them grow huge, and they should have a long aquarium rather than a tall one.

#8 ·
Angelfish are very nice just be careful about what you keep with them. Neon tetras and other small fish of that sort usually end up being angel snacks. I learned that the hard way. Had very young angels in a tank with neons and allowed the angels to grow up in there. As soon as the neons would fit into the angels mouth I started losing neons left and right. Took me a while to catch one of the angelfish in the act of chowing down on a small neon. Of course after that I researched the subject and discovered that neons are a natural prey of angelfish.

#9 ·
We forgot to metion that its a 55 long.

#10 ·
I always suggest praecox rainbowfish. Very active schooling fish and they'll have a ball in a tank of that size. 5 or 6 will liven up any tank

That picture doesnt do them much justice unfortunately...the shimmering blue color is very hard to see under the light conditions that picture was taken in. Think of the blue color on this pic of my male gbr but over the entire body of the praecox except for the fins (red on males, yellow on females)

#11 ·
And I'm adding that praecox are so prolific.:shock2: Had mine spawn every night for three months before they suffered and succumbed to columnaris.:) None of the fry lasted long. Some did survive for a short time but what can you expect in a community?:mrgreen:

#13 ·
Blue said:
And I'm adding that praecox are so prolific.:shock2: Had mine spawn every night for three months before they suffered and succumbed to columnaris.:) None of the fry lasted long. Some did survive for a short time but what can you expect in a community?:mrgreen:
LOL :lol:

i would also recommend the praecox......there colours are lovely....

How about a kribensis? or a school of them :D?

A Schreitmuller's Metynnis?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.