Tropical Fish Keeping banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
22,557 Posts
I would keep the spraybar close to the surface. Presumably the filter intake is closer to the substrate. And these should be at opposite ends of the tank, always, if the filter hose allows this.

The current depends upon the fish; if quiet fish, then angling the holes against the end wall will cause the water to fall down the wall and across the tank at a reduced rate of flow.

The above placement will create a more complete flow of water through the tank, and in a natural (to the fish) method. Many fish will invariable face into the flow, even a mild one; in my various tanks I see most of the shoaling fish always facing one direction when they are still.

Byron.

·
Registered
22,557 Posts
Yes, I drilled additional holes in the spraybar of one of my canisters. You obviously have to keep one half solid, being the "top" or water will shoot up into the cover/light which is fine if fully covered but when opening the cover for feedings, etc water will be everywhere.

My aim was to get a slight surface movement, with the main flow down into the tank. To be honest, I'm not sure if this worked or not.

·
Registered
22,557 Posts
What if you went for a "V" shape and drilled the holes 45 degrees apart?
You could aim one set toward the end of the aquarium and one toward the surface, but more out toward the middle.

Or is opposite each other better, with one pointing at the end and up and the other pointing toward the middle of the tank, and down?
Not sure how to explain this to be clear, but I drilled two rows of holes in addition to the one already there. I just made sure that all these holes were only on one half of the tube, and if the initial row of holes is aimed slightly down the wall, the other drilled holes can't be around the tube beyond the surface point. If that makes sense.:-?

·
Registered
22,557 Posts
So, if we count the initial holes as being at 0 degrees you would have then drilled one set at say 90 degrees and one at 180 degrees, leaving the other half of the circle untouched.
I would surmise you then aimed one set of holes at the wall of the tank, one straight down, and one directly into the center of the tank.

Ches:
It sounds like a trip to Homer's Depot may well be in my future.;-)
Yes, that is close. And this certainly explains the idea, so now we can move forward. I didn't have the third set quite at 180, because I wanted the initial row aimed slightly down the end wall. And the holes I drilled were less in diameter than the initial row.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts