Tropical Fish Keeping banner

Onion bad idea?

8K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  Byron 
#1 ·
Hello,

I have a 10 gallon tank with a Dragon Bichir and I would like to have natural plants in the aquarium. I know there is a variety of plants that I can get from walmart/petsmart/petco. But is there another way I can get aquarium safe plants without buying them? For instance, I've heard of the water onion plant and although I know that the water onion plant differs from the green onion plant, would the green onion plant still work? I've had them partially submerged in water (not in a tank), and they didn't decay. It's probably a horrible idea, but I'm new to fishkeeping (extremely, like first tank ever new) and unfortunately have limited funds. Thank you for your time and patience.

#2 ·
Some terrestrial plants can survive brief periods submersed (under water permanently), but eventually they rot and this can occur fast and poison the tank, killing fish and bacteria. Thus, only true aquatic or aquarium plants should be put in a fish tank.

There are several in our profiles, under the second tab from the left in the blue bar across the top of the page, with photos to help identification.

The aquarium "onion plant" is in the genus Crinum, which is not related to the Allium genus of the terrestrial onion and similar food plants.

Byron.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.