Tropical Fish Keeping banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I made a post a while ago, like a month ago, about a cory I have that has columnaris. Or so I thought. From what Ive read, this disease takes out fin in a few days, this has been going on for a month and a half.

The cory has white sheets of thick.... almost like puss sacks on its head, right barb, and just behind its fins. Ive treated it with API fungus cure, no luck, with tetracycline, no luck, with kanamycin, no luck, and im on triple sulfa and it seems to be working... sort of.

There appears to be craters (best was I can describe it) in the white stuff like its breaking up, but it is also spreading to his barbs at the same time. Im on day 6 f the treatment, going to 14 if I need to.

Its the only one affected in the tank, the other cory is just fine.

Yes I know 2 cories in a tank alone isnt proper, ive been told, many times over and over again. But I can not rehome them in right conscience when they have diseases.

Ive noticed a change however, I bought tetra safestart and started using it before this started, and soon after, like 2 days, the white spots stated, I dont know if this is a correlation or what, but I just noticed this after ive been adding some after water changes and filter changes.

Does anyone know what I could do? Besides stay on the triple sulfa and WC, what can I do?

Ps, he is swimming and eating fine which is odd, it dosent seem to be effecting him to the point that he has labored breathing or trouble swimming, he is acting 100% the same.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Poor guy :( A picture would be VERY helpful.
I would QT him asap! Just because it hasn't spread yet doesn't mean it won't.
Is your tank cycled? I ask because Tetra Safe Start isn't a medication. It's a biological additive to help speed up a tank cycle. If you're looking for something to make it feel better, less stressed, I would try Seachem Stress Guard. It's great for a lot of things, especially stress reduction.

After this complete round of triple sulfa, I would stop antibiotics. At this point they may be more stressful than they're worth, since they aren't really doing the job. Also, google lymphocystis. Does it look like that?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
This is a picture of a different cory, but its the same species and the infection is in the exact same area and looks the same
http://www.wetwebmedia.com/CatfishesPIX/Callichthyids/Corydoras/07122011379[1].jpg

scratch that, picture not working, here is a link to the page, if you scroll down its the first cory
http://www.wetwebmedia.com/fwsubwebindex/fwlymphfaqs.htm

And I was planning on stopping more antibiotics, there isnt any left! Haha
Cant qt the fish because I dont have another suitable set up for the other guy, sadly.
Not lymphocytosis, looks different, like the above link/picture

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.