Tropical Fish Keeping banner

one large filter?

4K views 17 replies 5 participants last post by  girlofgod 
#1 ·
I am going to get 6-8 tanks to breed my plecos, can anyone tell me it would be ok to run off a large sump? I was worried about cross contamination of the water, but if I keep my fish healthy and have a quarantine tank ready for any emergencies, I will run a large UV. Do you think that I will get away with this?

#2 ·
IMO, a sponge filter is enough for small breeding tanks. A sump is best in a large main tank.

#4 ·
It's better to spend less than too much. Sponge filters are enough for a small breeding tank. A sump alone for each small tank is unnecessary.

#6 ·
:shock2: Each tank at that size? Go for the sump then.

#7 ·
That is what I am afraid of, if one of my breeder gets sick then it could all go down the drain :( but then its cheaper to do it this way. Would it be expensive to run 8 canister filters and 8 300 watt heaters? because this is the way I am leaning to.

#8 ·
Bit rough, innit?:brow:
Everything has pros and cons.:nicefish:

#10 ·
Zeb, I meant to say that the sump has pros and cons.
To translate the first sentence, here:
Bit rough, isn't it?

#15 ·
Hi fellows,
I have troubles with splitting the topic after trying to move Zeb's photos to loricariids Photos in Freshwater Pictures and Videos section.
For the first 6 posts, pls click here.
I have locked and linked that thread here so as not to cause more confusions.

Sorry for the inconvenience. I'm still getting the hang to splitting the topics but eventually I'll do even better.

#17 ·
Hi Bri,
Thanks. You're so understanding.:) Even if I commit mistakes.:oops:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.