Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to get 6-8 tanks to breed my plecos, can anyone tell me it would be ok to run off a large sump? I was worried about cross contamination of the water, but if I keep my fish healthy and have a quarantine tank ready for any emergencies, I will run a large UV. Do you think that I will get away with this?

·
Registered
13,248 Posts
IMO, a sponge filter is enough for small breeding tanks. A sump is best in a large main tank.

·
Registered
13,248 Posts
It's better to spend less than too much. Sponge filters are enough for a small breeding tank. A sump alone for each small tank is unnecessary.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was thinking about one large sump for the all the tanks, allot cheaper. Heaters are $60 here. the tanks will be from 30-50 gal so I do not think a sponge will work.

·
Registered
13,248 Posts
:shock2: Each tank at that size? Go for the sump then.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That is what I am afraid of, if one of my breeder gets sick then it could all go down the drain :( but then its cheaper to do it this way. Would it be expensive to run 8 canister filters and 8 300 watt heaters? because this is the way I am leaning to.

·
Registered
13,248 Posts
Bit rough, innit?:brow:
Everything has pros and cons.:nicefish:

·
Registered
13,248 Posts
Zeb, I meant to say that the sump has pros and cons.
To translate the first sentence, here:
Bit rough, isn't it?

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Blue said:
Zeb, I meant to say that the sump has pros and cons.
To translate the first sentence, here:
Bit rough, isn't it?
year, I have chosen to get hang on filters so their is not any danger of cross-contamination.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I am getting all the fish for I have to grow them out, they will be in my tanks Jan/Feb so I have time to breed my BN and L168.

·
Registered
13,248 Posts
Hi fellows,
I have troubles with splitting the topic after trying to move Zeb's photos to loricariids Photos in Freshwater Pictures and Videos section.
For the first 6 posts, pls click here.
I have locked and linked that thread here so as not to cause more confusions.

Sorry for the inconvenience. I'm still getting the hang to splitting the topics but eventually I'll do even better.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
sure thing Blue...keep up the great work! ^^

bri

·
Registered
13,248 Posts
Hi Bri,
Thanks. You're so understanding.:) Even if I commit mistakes.:oops:

·
Registered