Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday I added two ghost shrimp to my ten gallon tank. There is a plant along with two caves and some fish. The one ghost shrimp jumps and swims and goes all over the place. The other, well it hides in the cave and I dont think it ever moves. I know it is alive, when a fish goes into it, it moves away. Is it sick? Also not related to the shrimp, I bought a sunburst platy and it is with 3 mollies. The platy just swims up and down the side staring at its reflection. It will not interact with the other fish. Should I get another one or will it adjust? I dont want to overpopulate my tank

·
Registered
45 Posts
Yesterday I added two ghost shrimp to my ten gallon tank. There is a plant along with two caves and some fish. The one ghost shrimp jumps and swims and goes all over the place. The other, well it hides in the cave and I dont think it ever moves. I know it is alive, when a fish goes into it, it moves away. Is it sick? Also not related to the shrimp, I bought a sunburst platy and it is with 3 mollies. The platy just swims up and down the side staring at its reflection. It will not interact with the other fish. Should I get another one or will it adjust? I dont want to overpopulate my tank
My guess is that the shrimp is molting. It is very vulnerable during molting and so it hides till the exoskelton is hard again.

Your molly would be fine. :)

·
Registered
111 Posts

I love ghost shrimp! Each shrimp is different, and don't act the same. I had a ghost shrimp once that would swim all over the tank, and then one that would stay on one of my fake plants in the same spot all day long. Like the person said above me, yours could be molting. When they molt, they like to hide while theyre doing it. As for your 4 fish, that is enough for your 10 gallon. 4 fish is perfectly stocked, and I wouldn't add anymore. I currently have 4 platys and 2 amano shrimps in my 10 gallon and it's running beautifully. Your shrimp will be fine, dont worry :)

·
Registered
161 Posts
id prefer a little more shrimps because they feel threatened sometimes. when they are in a group they tend to feel more safe. as if u had only 2 shrimps and one leaves to find food one is left alone which will cause a withdrawl effect. i tend to keep 5/6 shrimps specially if its ghost because they are cheap and will be able to sustain a good tank cleaning. you should know when they are happy if they are searching for food, or if they are threatened they will tend to hide - as molting occurs they will usually hide but you should be able to tell the stiffness, decoloration and mobility of the shrimp. once the shell is gone dont bother touching it, just let the shrimp consume the shell, this will provide extra calcium/iodine for the next molting/shell polishing. they look thier best after molting. my ghosts tend to not hide when molting, they just kind of randomly molt at places. usually hanging on a plant, ontop a rock.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
now that I added a few more plants, the "shy" ghost shrimp sits on top. At least I know he is enjoying himself. The other one is very fun to watch. He just runs into the fish and floats all over the place. I guess they just have different personalities. Thanks to everyone for giving me some answers :) much appreciated

1 - 5 of 5 Posts