Tropical Fish Keeping banner

If I had a 220 Gallon Aquarium, I would stock....

41 - 60 of 1,118 Posts
Discussion starter · #41 ·
Should have bought the 125 used. I see them for $100 all the time.
That would be great, if I lived anywhere near you.

Here 125 gallon tanks typically go for $600-800 used on kijiji and craigslist, with stand and usually with a filter. Two of my four tanks were used. One had to be resealed, it was a pain in the butt. Both used stands were beat up around the edges. Then there is the issue of transportation. My car will not fit a 6 foot tank or stand. The store delivers. Also, to buy used I would have to have the $600-800 all at once. With layaway I can pay a couple of hundred at a time. I'll admit, I'm crappy at saving.

My two used tanks and stands were great deals but they are not in nearly as nice condition as the two I bought new. This is going to be a major piece of furniture in our house so we decided to go all out.

(If I had ever seen a used 125 here for $100 I would have bought it in a second, and found someone with a truck to help me get it home). $100 is too good a deal to pass up. Why stop at one for that price?

Wow, things must be pricy up in Canada =O

The 125 is ~$360 here new (on sale). For a stand I built my own for ~$250. I have noticed though that people want wayyyy too much for used stuff in my region (New England). Deals can be had, but are rare.

So back on topic. Filters.

Check reviews on the Eheim Pro, I think their newest model of the Pro line is what's been getting a lot of poor reviews for leaking. They may have fixed the issue by now, but you'd have to research it. The Rena XP3 is a good filter, certainly take a look at it. The Eheim Classic line is pretty solid.

GPH is pretty useless really, depending on what you are wanting it for. Good for making currents for fish that need it, but in terms of actual filtering don't focus on it at all. Just get a filter that's advertised to work with your size aquarium. The majority of tropical fish prefer a gental current, or no current at all. A high current will stress them. So this is an area that you will have to decide on your fish to decide what filter flow rate is needed.

One canister is far superier than two HOBs. The canister will give you a nice current from one side to the other, evenly distributing the heat. Some fish will even face upstream like they would in a river. For live plants, a current like that will also make sure nutrients are avalible everywhere. Canisters are also much, much quieter to run.

For your equipment consider looking online. I don't know how Amazon compares in Canada, but here in the States their prices are generally at least equal, but often better than Petsmart/Petco (the two big chain stores here).

Discussion starter · #43 · (Edited)
Amazon.com won't ship most items to Canada. There is an amazon.ca, but it is totally different than the US site. I just checked. Aquaclear 110 on Amazon.Ca, 89.99. I can buy it locally for that and not pay the shipping (no free shipping on that product on amazon.ca)

Canada is a totally different ballgame than the states. Shipping from the US to Canada usually involves high international shipping fees, plus duty charges, which negate any savings. Americans are always surprised at the prices up here.

I could get a new 125 gallon tank for less than $360 CAD at Big Al's, but it wouldn't include the lid or light fixture. The 72" light fixtures cost as much as the tank.

Anyway, I'm not complaining about the price. Around here you get what you pay for.

The Eheim Classic sounds like the best option for me. They stock it locally, which is handy, and probably also means I can buy parts locally. They also sell this on amazon.ca, for the same price as locally, but again with the added shipping costs. Shipping Costs make anything bulky too expensive to order off of E-Bay as well.

Wow, things must be pricy up in Canada =O

The 125 is ~$360 here new (on sale). For a stand I built my own for ~$250. I have noticed though that people want wayyyy too much for used stuff in my region (New England). Deals can be had, but are rare.

So back on topic. Filters.

Check reviews on the Eheim Pro, I think their newest model of the Pro line is what's been getting a lot of poor reviews for leaking. They may have fixed the issue by now, but you'd have to research it. The Rena XP3 is a good filter, certainly take a look at it. The Eheim Classic line is pretty solid.

GPH is pretty useless really, depending on what you are wanting it for. Good for making currents for fish that need it, but in terms of actual filtering don't focus on it at all. Just get a filter that's advertised to work with your size aquarium. The majority of tropical fish prefer a gental current, or no current at all. A high current will stress them. So this is an area that you will have to decide on your fish to decide what filter flow rate is needed.

One canister is far superier than two HOBs. The canister will give you a nice current from one side to the other, evenly distributing the heat. Some fish will even face upstream like they would in a river. For live plants, a current like that will also make sure nutrients are avalible everywhere. Canisters are also much, much quieter to run.

For your equipment consider looking online. I don't know how Amazon compares in Canada, but here in the States their prices are generally at least equal, but often better than Petsmart/Petco (the two big chain stores here).

Discussion starter · #44 ·
Well, the tank, stand and lights are about 75% paid for. My income tax return came in, that helped. ;)

I've decided to go with the Eheim Classic 2217 to start. Eventually I'm going to add a Aquaclear 110 as a backup. I've decided on black gravel substrate, and I am going to try the Java Ferns and Anubias. They sell some at my LFS. I like the look of Java moss too, I'll have to look into if they ever carry it.

Because of all the hoses and wires I think we're going to put the tank along a wall instead of as a divider. We like to use the backgrounds to hide all that stuff.

Can't wait to get it home and start setting it up.

Don't forget the weight of it all! Make sure it's on an outside wall crossing as many joists as possible and not running the length of 2. Just a thought.
I found Big Al's in Newmarket to be THE BEST Big Al's of 4. Whitby, Scar, Barrie and Newmarket. I am their's for life! :-D
120 gallon at Big Al's... 60" x 18" x 26" tall is $249. (plus HST of 13% for you Americans) But then there's the lid, lights, etc, etc, etc. ( I have a window in the way for a 72")

As for Craig's and Kijiji.... why do they want us to take away all their fish that are too big for the tank too? Just cause they don't want to deal with them any more.!! :dunno:

Discussion starter · #46 ·
I'm putting it in the basement, which is a concrete foundation. I wouldn't risk putting it upstairs.

The 125 gallon at Big Al's here (72"x18"x22") with stand (actually made of wood, not MDF) plus glass lid and 72" double light fixture is 1099.99 + 13%

I owe just under $350 on it now.

Don't forget the weight of it all! Make sure it's on an outside wall crossing as many joists as possible and not running the length of 2. Just a thought.
I found Big Al's in Newmarket to be THE BEST Big Al's of 4. Whitby, Scar, Barrie and Newmarket. I am their's for life! :-D
120 gallon at Big Al's... 60" x 18" x 26" tall is $249. (plus HST of 13% for you Americans) But then there's the lid, lights, etc, etc, etc. ( I have a window in the way for a 72")

As for Craig's and Kijiji.... why do they want us to take away all their fish that are too big for the tank too? Just cause they don't want to deal with them any more.!! :dunno:

I too have decided on the eheim 2217 classic, I am thinking Natural Blends Gravel Walnut, and I would like a uv sterilizer for the new tank too I have one in my current tank because I had green water and really like he fact that it kills bacterial infections on my fish so for me its a must in my new tank also. Although the Big Als in Whitby is the one I go too I would like to visit the Newmarket one its the same distance from my house as Whitby so I am going to check it out very soon.

Have you ever ordered from this site ? http://www.petsandponds.com I buy my supplies there its so muvh Cheaper then anywhere else the 2 Litre Cycle is 25 dollars cheaper, they are in Orillia and I recieved my order 2 days after I ordered, media food everything is cheaper

Have you ever ordered from this site ? http://www.petsandponds.com I buy my supplies there its so muvh Cheaper then anywhere else the 2 Litre Cycle is 25 dollars cheaper, they are in Orillia and I recieved my order 2 days after I ordered, media food everything is cheaper

I use them for almost all my equipment / supplies and have never had a problem with them, there prices in Canada cannot be beaten and they do ship very quickly. Last order I did last week, got a nice surprise off them in a freebie live rock cleaner / spot feeder for my saltwater tank valued at $18.99!

Only thing I wish they would add is aquariums :)

Reactions: Canadian Fish
I saw a 180 gallon tank at a superfish store the other day for $1248 with lights and glass lid.

I would have bought it but im afraid 1400+ pounds is a bit too much stress for my old floors to handle :/

Nice buy though! :)

I saw a 180 gallon tank at a superfish store the other day for $1248 with lights and glass lid.

I would have bought it but im afraid 1400+ pounds is a bit too much stress for my old floors to handle :/

Nice buy though! :)
Gesh that's expense. I can build the same thing with 1/2" cel cast acrylic for under 600 US dollars. Granted I will have to build it but its half the price of what LFS charge for large tanks. I have begun designing my dream tank. A 180g that I will take my time building the setup from scratch. Kind of like layway. I don't have the large lump some of money to get everything right away so stretching it out over time eases the pocket book. Downside is the anticipation of a completed setup.

Canadian Fish good choice of a filter. I ran dual Aquaclear 300s (now 70) on my 55g for about 10 years. Best HOB in my opinion. Cheap and easy to clean when you run just the sponges. I just upgraded to Eheim 2213 canisters. Much much quieter,lol. Glad I switched to canister. Less visible clutter and easy on the ears until the water level drops.

AWESOME! This tank will be awesome and i agree bala sharks would go great in a 6 foot tank with a school. any ideas of what fish you know for SURE that you wan't to put in?

Discussion starter · #54 ·
AWESOME! This tank will be awesome and i agree bala sharks would go great in a 6 foot tank with a school. any ideas of what fish you know for SURE that you wan't to put in?
We're really leaning towards building the community around the balas. We saw 2 at our LFS that had grown to 8 or 9 inches and they were really cool. Someone had brought them in. They also had a bunch that were around 3" and that is what we'd like to start with. I'd like a school of 5, if I have room. I'm not sure what type of barbs and loaches I want to keep with them.

I already have a school of zebra loaches in a 55, and I plan on putting some yoyos in my other 55, so I want a different type in the 125. I don't have any barbs in any of my tanks, so I'm up for any type that will grow large enough that they won't become food for the balas as they get bigger.

We're really leaning towards building the community around the balas. We saw 2 at our LFS that had grown to 8 or 9 inches and they were really cool. Someone had brought them in. They also had a bunch that were around 3" and that is what we'd like to start with. I'd like a school of 5, if I have room. I'm not sure what type of barbs and loaches I want to keep with them.

I already have a school of zebra loaches in a 55, and I plan on putting some yoyos in my other 55, so I want a different type in the 125. I don't have any barbs in any of my tanks, so I'm up for any type that will grow large enough that they won't become food for the balas as they get bigger.
what a "Co-ink-ki-dink" that you wan't barbs that will grow large so the balas won't eat them. there is a common barb that grows huge its the tinfoil barb those things can get to the size of some large cichlids but they are peacefull and need a school. hopefully your LFS has some i know mine does

Discussion starter · #56 ·
what a "Co-ink-ki-dink" that you wan't barbs that will grow large so the balas won't eat them. there is a common barb that grows huge its the tinfoil barb those things can get to the size of some large cichlids but they are peacefull and need a school. hopefully your LFS has some i know mine does
Yeah, my LFS does sell them, however they get so large that I don't think I could keep 5 balas AND the tinfoil barbs. I could keep maybe 3 of each, but I think the balas prefer to be in groups of 5 or more. I probably need a slightly smaller barb.

Yeah, my LFS does sell them, however they get so large that I don't think I could keep 5 balas AND the tinfoil barbs. I could keep maybe 3 of each, but I think the balas prefer to be in groups of 5 or more. I probably need a slightly smaller barb.
these barbs are smaller but they do great in schools of 9 and don't bother or get bothered by balas

H-barbs are great because they are as small as a tiger barb 4" and in a school they may look threatining but they are peaceful but these barbs are rare

Tiger barbs are h-barbs but with stripes instead of an "H" so they could drive away a bala if the bala attacks

Green tiger barbs (whats with all the tiger barbs) are the same but have bright green scales and I have had them with my bala's for over a year now and the ballas and green tiger barbs never fight.

Discussion starter · #58 ·
Well, I still don't have the aquarium home. I've paid $1000 on it, basically just the tax left to pay. It's camping season now though, and our winters suck so we have to take advantage when the weather is nice. Our money is going to be going towards that for the next month or so. We went camping last week and we're going again later this week.

While we were away, our second 55 gallon tank FINALLY finished cycling. As did our goldfish tank, which I thought was never going to happen. We've added some decorations to the 55, and a bubble blower. Looks much better now. Also added some serpae tetras in with the mollies in the 55, and added some golden apple snails in my 35 with the ryukin goldfish.

Here is a photo and short vid of the 55, and of my original 20, which we added some tiny harlequin rasboras to, not long ago.

My Rainbow tank is unchanged so I did not include it.

If you check out my other vids, you can see my other tanks. There are also some of our recent camping trip, and other shenanigans.

I should have the 125 gallon tank by the end of next month, but the weather is so nice here, it's not a priority right now.

41 - 60 of 1,118 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.