Tropical Fish Keeping banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I posted this in an intro post, but don’t know how many people look at them. I have an 11 year old molly who may be dying. He lays in the bottom corner of the tank until I’m in the room. Then he swims around the tank really fast. I don’t think he’s eating so my other thought is he may have gone blind and can’t find his food? I’d hate to think I’m starving him. This has been going on for 3 days. I’ve thought he was dead several times, but then he gets up and swims again. If he’s dying of old age, how long will he do this? Is it kinder for me to get clove oil and euthanize him? Can fish find their food if they suddenly go blind? This afternoon he’s been either laying down or vertical near the top of the tank as if looking for food, but he’s not finding it. After all these years, I don’t want him to suffer. Thank you.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Hi, I posted this in an intro post, but don’t know how many people look at them. I have an 11 year old molly who may be dying. He lays in the bottom corner of the tank until I’m in the room. Then he swims around the tank really fast. I don’t think he’s eating so my other thought is he may have gone blind and can’t find his food? I’d hate to think I’m starving him. This has been going on for 3 days. I’ve thought he was dead several times, but then he gets up and swims again. If he’s dying of old age, how long will he do this? Is it kinder for me to get clove oil and euthanize him? Can fish find their food if they suddenly go blind? This afternoon he’s been either laying down or vertical near the top of the tank as if looking for food, but he’s not finding it. After all these years, I don’t want him to suffer. Thank you.
What are your water parameters? The common molly lifespan is 3-5 years, so if he/she is 11 years old he is definitely at the end of the road. If you think he/she is suffering and will not eat, it might be best if you cull. It's your call.
🙏 👀

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What are your water parameters? The common molly lifespan is 3-5 years, so if he/she is 11 years old he is definitely at the end of the road. If you think he/she is suffering and will not eat, it might be best if you cull. It's your call.
🙏 👀
Thank you for answering I have him in a small tank, temp about 75 degrees. I replaced 10-15% of the water last week. He’s been in there for several years since he’s a geriatric fish. I didn’t think it was even possible for one to live that many years, so I’m kind of fond of the old thing. I guess I know what I have to do.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
An 11 year old molly? You have given it a great life and taken most excellent care of him. I agree with @Dartmouthseven if you feel he is suffering it is best to ease that.
Thank you. I took care of that with clove oil on Friday. I appreciate your answer. He was a little miracle fish.

·
Registered
10g: 8 young golden Dalmatian mollies 1 neon tetra 2 nerite snails 10g: 2 nerites, soon molies fr t1
250 Posts
Holly crow 11!!! That’s really dang good for a Molly. Expected life span is three to five years.
Hope you can find more good fish.
Best of luck,

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Holly crow 11!!! That’s really dang good for a Molly. Expected life span is three to five years.
Right? He was the last fish in our tank that we stocked after a big storm in our area so I’m positive of when we got him. He really wanted to stick around longer, too. He was not well for several days before I euthanized him. I should have done it sooner.

·
Registered
10g: 8 young golden Dalmatian mollies 1 neon tetra 2 nerite snails 10g: 2 nerites, soon molies fr t1
250 Posts
My longest lived was 2 1/2years. Given I’ve only been going for 3 1/2 but still.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts