Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
-1 Red Tail Shark
-1 Angelfish
-5 Tiger Barbs
-1 Pleco
-10 Neon Tetras

Looking for 2-5 fish to water cycle a new tank, obviously these need to be hardier fish. I have a 55 gallon. Thank you so much, you guys have been great at answering my questions.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Danios survive the best,they're pretty cool too. you'll be advised to do a fish-free cycle here though.Search tank cycling,It's a long process for me to describe, but there are many well written posts on this forum.I was shocked when a staffer at a private store said for me to "finish up" with danios.Good luck, do read up.

·
Registered
4,899 Posts
Pure ammonia will cycle a tank faster then it will with fish in it. If your planning on cycling with fish your going to have to do frequent water changes to keep the fish alive disrupting the cycling process.
Can you do it with fish?
Yes, you can cycle a tank with fish.
Are there other options?
Yes, as I have mentioned, cycling with ammonia without fish is fish friendly and a better solution.
If you want more on doing a "fishless cycle" (this is the method with pure ammonia) search these forums, google fishless cycle or ask questions.
Finally, the red tailed shark and common plecos will for sure get to large for a 55 gallon.

·
Registered
2,920 Posts
I have never kept neon tetras, but I will admit to cycling an aquarium with tiger barbs. No deaths, but it was a lot of hard work. Lots of water test, and water changes. Almost daily water changes for a couple weeks. I know its no fun looking at a fishless tank, but a fishless cycle is a whole lot easier. Giant danios are highly recommended for fish cycles. It is said they deal very well with high nitrites.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Pure ammonia will cycle a tank faster then it will with fish in it. If your planning on cycling with fish your going to have to do frequent water changes to keep the fish alive disrupting the cycling process.
Can you do it with fish?
Yes, you can cycle a tank with fish.
Are there other options?
Yes, as I have mentioned, cycling with ammonia without fish is fish friendly and a better solution.
If you want more on doing a "fishless cycle" (this is the method with pure ammonia) search these forums, google fishless cycle or ask questions.
Finally, the red tailed shark and common plecos will for sure get to large for a 55 gallon.
A red tailed shark will not out grow a 55 gallon, already talked to an expert. (yes, i know they lie quite often at aquarium shops) and yes, depending on the kind, a pleco "may outgrow an aquarium.

Liveaquaria.com search red tailed sharks.

·
Registered
4,899 Posts
and for the record liveaquaria isnt always right. i just went there and started looking at bala sharks. it says 70 gallon tank minimum best in groups 3 or more. if you keep 3 in a 75 gallon tank they will grow about a foot each. this will not work, and pref. balas should be kept 6+ which would require a large tank.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
and for the record liveaquaria isnt always right. i just went there and started looking at bala sharks. it says 70 gallon tank minimum best in groups 3 or more. if you keep 3 in a 75 gallon tank they will grow about a foot each. this will not work, and pref. balas should be kept 6+ which would require a large tank.
I agree, bala sharks need a 125 gallon tank preferably for one or two, many people put this fish in too small of a tank. Not to mention they need schools.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The are the fish I'm using.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts