Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't think i'm at critical mass yet - but want to be prepared for when that time comes...
how many cory cats do you think are appropriate for a 20 gallon long single-species tank?

I seem to have some very virile cory cats. I think i'm up to 4 incidentally bred additional catfish.

·
Registered
5,201 Posts
I think you could easily do 15 and then see how many more you think will fit before looking bad.

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing, doesn't go away"

·
Registered
3,553 Posts
rule of thumb is 1x1 inch/per gallon. meaning a single 1 inch specimen per gallon of water thats available in our tank. Do not take it as 22 fishes because it's a 22 gal tank because you need to minus out the all the other things in the tank like substrate, plants, filters and deco that is taking away space which was used to count the total amount of water in the tank.

·
Registered
5,201 Posts
Yes, really frightydog :)

"Rules" in fish keeping are misapplied more often than not. Not to knit pick, but there are WAY more things to consider than the length of the fish and the volume of water. Just as an example, the girth of the fish is way more important than the length of the fish with respect to bioload.

·
Registered
27 Posts

·
Registered
5,201 Posts
Aqadvisor is EXTREMELY conservative with regards to its stocking evaluations - As it should be, since it has to be dumbed down to the lowest common denominator. Don't get me wrong, it's a great place to start.... but that's all it is, is a beginners guide. With a little experience under your belt you'll see that 100% on aqadvisor isn't anywhere near fully stocked.

One of the best parts about aqadvisor is the compatibility checks and school size suggestions. While not always completely accurate, it's wonderful for getting people who are new to the hobby to look at things more objectively.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts