Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just joined, so hi to all!
My first aquarium setup went well for the first 3 weeks but now my neon tetra seem to be dying!
I have a 90 litre tank with internal filter, heater and led overhead lighting. The substrate is fine white sand and pea gravel. The tank is planted with 5 different plants and has some driftwood/bogwood with moss on. The tetras are kept with 5 leopard danios, 5 tiger barbs, 10 flying foxes, 2 catfish, 2 yellow rabbit snails and 5 nerite snails.
I keep the temp at 26 degree centigrade and feed them twice a day except the catfish which get fed every evening. The water is very hard where I live and I was wondering if this would be a cause?
If anyone has experience of this happening or has any useful info i would be really grateful as I seem to be losing 1 tetra every day at the moment. Cheers! & Happy Christmas!!!

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
Welcome... and merry xmas.
First thing first, that its a lot of fish for a 90L tank. And the fish you have, i personally think aren't suited to such a small tank as they can grow large - lile flying foxes, up to 6 inch in lenght... and you have 10 of them - or not community type fish - tiger barbs, which are known to be problem tank inhabitants.

Secondly, is the tank cycled? Tetra can be a bit sensitive in a non established tank, so that may be the reason why your fish are dying. What are you ammonia, nitrite and nitrate levels (as a numerical value, 'good' isnt going to help us to help you)...

The tetra may be dying to to a build of of stress - some term stress as a silent killer.... have you observed any problems just as chasing or such - chasing constantly can place a great strain on a fish.

Edit. What type of fish are the catfish?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i'll get back to you with the water readings as it's a little late at the mo! 1.00am but as for the other fish in the tank, the tiger barbs only seem to bother each other some times and are mainly ok, the catfish are 1 very small orange bristlenose and a 2 inch Gibbiceps Sailfin Plec, both are peaceful fish and spend all their time eating algae off the logs and stones.

added pics for all the fish and plants in the aquarium.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
That sailfin pleco can grow bigger than the size of the tank - up to 45cm (18 inch) in lenght. Please reconsider keeping it in such a small tank...

Are the pictures yours? If not, sourcing is required as it is technically illegal as its stealing other peoples pictures.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
woah! big fish sold to me as a little fish!!! will have to get back to the shop i got the sailfin plec from.
pics are all from the shops website where i purchased the fish.
what size tank would you say i should keep the sailfin in?

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
Ideally you want to be looking at a custom 4ft tank (and it being at least 2ft wide) or better yet, a 6 ft aquarium... (in the 100g and up range)

Pretty much all of your fish would appreciate a tank either triple the size you have now, since many of them grow large or they are active schooling fish.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts