Tropical Fish Keeping banner

21 - 40 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
13,248 Posts
I have talked with Nick in the past not to add any more balas considering the waste of space as they'll eventually outgrow the tank. Nick has been persuaded already to stay away from balas but it's his decision and we respect it. We should be aware of the welfare of the fish. As long as Nick's bala is fine, I don't see anything wrong to not adding more.
Personally, I don't recommend the idea of throwing the fish out once they outgrow the tank. The fish is now under your care and you must take responsibility to that.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
i agree with blue, especially since i see the point of keeping fish as having pets...and i wouldnt take my puppy back to the store when she got too big and wasnt a puppy anymore, i would already be attached to her....you see? i think its the same with fish, for most anyways...i love my fishies, i dont want to give them back...but he could upgrade! 8) hahahah

bri

·
Registered
83 Posts
girlofgod said:
i agree with blue, especially since i see the point of keeping fish as having pets...and i wouldnt take my puppy back to the store when she got too big and wasnt a puppy anymore, i would already be attached to her....you see? i think its the same with fish, for most anyways...i love my fishies, i dont want to give them back...but he could upgrade! 8) hahahah

bri
but would you want the best for your puppy? if you new he has going to live on a huge farm with other dogs and a loving owner would you let him go?

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Thanks for all of the reply's and all of the 'hard' work to try to help me. Once I see a sign of my angels trying to 'eat' ( even though they are small ) than I will rehome them immediatly. And on the bala. I've had my bala ever since I got my 10 gallon and than I found out that it needed a big tank so I got a 55 gallon. And I'm not getting anymore because that would make them happy for now but not later because I know they will outgrow the tank later on. He is healthy as can be and pretty much hangs out with everyone all the time. Thank all for everyone's input. Very much appreciated 8)

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
I also have a question on my java ferns. How long do you think it will take for them to start growing bigger? Had them about 2 weeks and only seen a little growth on the roots. I'm waiting for them to start wrapping around the wood & rocks...and start to get bigger leaves. Is there anything I can do?

All help is appreciated..

Nick

·
Registered
13,248 Posts
You just have to wait.
It takes months, not days for the plants to establish their roots.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
For sure...I just didnt know if I could do anything like positioning wise or anything. Or it's just me being impatients :roll:

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #29

·
Registered
13,248 Posts
The only reason why I avoid loaches for my community other than the kuhli loach is they love to eat my plants or even make holes on the leaves. :crazy:

No plans buying any other fish other than diamond tetras, apistogramma agassizi and apistogramma borelli. :love:

Nice video, Nick.
Patience is the name of this game.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Yes patience is the key for this hobby. The only other fish im getting is a school of 6 or so of Cardinal's and thats it, im DONE!

thx abot the video

·
Banned
750 Posts
flattrack23 said:
The only other fish im getting is a school of 6 or so of Cardinal's and thats it, im DONE!
Yeah right! I said the same thing before when I had my 55 gallon tank. But later got the 125 gallon tank. So I said, I'm done no more tanks or fish.

I always said I don't know what the fascination is with discus.

When I got my 125 gallon tank, I was thinking of adding more fish. I wanted something big and peaceful, to swim along with my angels. What did I get? Discus.

I also said I don't need any more tanks now that I have my 125 gallon tank. I also said I do not need my 38 gallon tank, so I can sell it. What did I do? I bought a 29 gallon tank and a 40 gallon breeder. Now I'm thinking of NOT selling my 38 gallon tank and just keep it in case my discus breed.

Basically what I'm saying is, with fish keeping, you can never say your done.

·
Registered
13,248 Posts
Nice. I'd say you go with diamond tetras instead.

I would love to get cardinals but I'm more of Amazon cichlids-oriented.:mrgreen:

I can't go over another batch of cories because of fear of another wipeout. Heaven knows I ended up with all 11 killed by the heater even if at present, I don't use heater anymore.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Hmmm..I seriously dont think my LFS's carry diamond tetra's. I will check next time im in but it will be a while

·
Registered
13,248 Posts
And make sure to resist yourself from buying cardinals for awhile.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Psssshhhhh!

·
Registered
9,426 Posts
hi there
you're doing really well with your tank :)
it must be great to have all that room to play with.
wish i still had my 4ft tank.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Thanks Lainey...

I want some advice from ALL THE MEMBERS out there k? k

I need some help on positioning my plants...I was looking @ katherine's tank and its only a 38 gallon and look WAY deeper than my 55 gallon and it looks much much better. So with the plants that I have right now where do you think I could put them to make the tank look better/bigger/deeper and all around better looking. I suck at positioning my plants so all advice please please please!! Thanks 8)

Nick

·
Registered
891 Posts
Here's my advice: get several tall plants for the background and move the small ones toward the front. Get some larger rocks and make a centerpiece, such as a cave or big mound of rocks. Make a hill or dip with the sand or slope it up to the back or on one side of the tank.

21 - 40 of 64 Posts