Tropical Fish Keeping banner

21 - 40 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
UPDATE 11-7-06

Today I went and picked out a few pieces of Live rock from my buddy's * 150 Gallon* Saltwater set up. Along with a bunch of snails, a shrimp, a starfish, some plants, and a featherduster. Overall I need some more live rock in there. Ive just sort of set them in there for the moment as the sand is still clearing up. I have hooked the filter up and just got a cartridge from my 55 gallon filter ( new of course ) and folded it in half both ways just so it filters threw something to help clear the water up. It's clearing up nicely too. also the filter gives the top of the water some movement which you need. Just letting everything pretty much settle through right now. Not posting a pic yet as it looks like crap! Just giving an update :D

Nick

·
Registered
891 Posts
Aw come on Nick, post a pic. Don't make me beg 8)
A starfish? Free?? :blink: Man, you need to tell me who this *buddy* is.
Glad to hear it's all going well :)

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Ya i didnt pay ANYTHING for this WHOLE set up. He was buying sand for his big tank so he just bought an extra big bag and i got a bunch of sand. He gave me the live rock, shrimp, starfish, snails, featherduster, plants, EVERYTHING to make thsi work. Including salt...Its pretty sweet! Sorry but im not posting a pic yet! When im satisfied with the rocks where they are and when it clears up more then i will! Definetly tomorrow! And plus its nothing really special...Just a little first project type thing.

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
Nick said:
Ya i didnt pay ANYTHING for this WHOLE set up. He was buying sand for his big tank so he just bought an extra big bag and i got a bunch of sand. He gave me the live rock, shrimp, starfish, snails, featherduster, plants, EVERYTHING to make thsi work. Including salt...Its pretty sweet! Sorry but im not posting a pic yet! When im satisfied with the rocks where they are and when it clears up more then i will! Definetly tomorrow! And plus its nothing really special...Just a little first project type thing.
That's how this salt thing generally works. People that have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours on their tanks love bringing in new recruits. I know I give away extra equipment and corals all the time.

What type of star did you get? As far as plants go they are all really macro algae. Large plant like algae. Some are caulerpa, red fern, hylameda, bottle brush, grape, cheato. They grow ultra fast. Theonly one that doesn't is the hylameda (or money plant) and it needs a lot of extra calcium.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Hey,

Yeah well I sure did get drug into the salt bizz! haha but i love it! Not sure the exact name of the plant but all they are are a few algea plants nothing to much though. The featherduster is doing great. It is a chocolate starfish, I think theres an exact name but I know for a fact its a chocolate starfish. I will be posting pics after school dont worry!

Nick

·
Registered
891 Posts
I should not be reading this thread! Lately my sister has decided to get rid of her small nano salttank. For some reason, this has suddenly gotten my interested in saltwater. I don't know why, I was never interested in it when she had it, but now I'm obsessed! :shock:
Must...stay...away.... :x

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
why stay away? if she's getting rid of it...she would prolly give it to you! then you can be a SW fanatic too! that wouldnt be so bad!

bri

·
Registered
891 Posts
girlofgod said:
why stay away? if she's getting rid of it...she would prolly give it to you! then you can be a SW fanatic too! that wouldnt be so bad!
I would more than happy to take it off her hands!!
The only problem is she lives 1 and a half thousand miles away. :roll:

·
Banned
1,591 Posts
When I first started salties I bought one cuz I that they looked cool. Much did I know I had to feed him pieces of shrimp just to leave my inverts, fish, and corals alone. They have been known to sneak up on smaller sleeping fish and eat them.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Haha...I just got done reading your thread under Saltwater Maintenance and while I read it was like " Argh I know i got her into this from me starting my own nano tank! " hahahaha :lol: But I guess its a good thing its one thing to another you know?that would we awesome if you did! Then we could like help eachother out and you know...lol 8)

I should have pics up in a few hours...so sit tight! I came home for lunch today and the tank looks great...Well not GREAT but its got all the basic stuff and everything looks like its thriving. The chocolate starfish is sooo awesome! I just love him! He's all over the place on the intake filter and on the glass...the snails...wow I dont know where people got that there slow because there reall not!

Brie I really do hope that you get started into it. I think your making it harder then it really is! It's pretty simple! But you may have more trouble if you start from scratch because about 5 gallons out of 10 of my tank came from my buddy's 150 gallon tank so i didnt have to cycle or nothing thats why I moved so quickly. Also planning on getting some lights so i can have coral by next week :D Cant wait to show you guys the tanks 8)

Nick

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Sorry everyone! We went from china and back to find the right lights for my tank and I also got a fish called a Demsey. just got one little guy for starters. I DO HAVE THE PICS READY! So here they Are!

Full Tank Shot: It's hard to get one because its right behind my bed...

Shrimp:

3 striped Damsel

Feather-Duster:

Shot of a piece of Live Rock:

Star Fish: Official name is the Chocolate Chip Starfish

Thats all for now!
This tank moved along so quickly because of already established water from my buddy. It looks way better then I thought and it all takes time and money. The new lights are special lights that I know all salty tanks have. A need for growing coral and it brings out the good look. I'm pretty satisfied with it right now. I was tempted to buy an anemone at the LFS because I'm planning on getting a clown fish and they like that. But it was the kind that they wouldnt like because it stung to much. But hope you guys liked the pics and I want feedback!!!! :D :D

Nick

·
Registered
681 Posts
That's a real nice looking set up you have there. You were lucky to get the tank cycled so quickly. Any other plans besides the clown/anenome combination?

21 - 40 of 87 Posts