Tropical Fish Keeping banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

· Registered
Joined
·
16 Posts
Although this thread is somewhat older, I thought I'd post to reaffirm the previous poster in some important knowledge.

It is absolutely true that some animals get their toxins from their diet in the wild and, therefore, lose their toxicity in captivity. Poison dart frogs are the perfect example of this because, as the previous poster mentioned, they eats toxic ants and then metabolize and concentrate that poison thru their skin pores.

That said, it is dangerous to assume that an animal that is toxic in the wild is not toxic in capitivity without taking certain precautions. First, get to know the animal in question. (Hello, my name is..... errr.... I mean educate yourself abou the animal!) Second, determine if your source for your pets is using wild or captive bred stock. Third, ask what the animal has been fed and about its environmental housing conditions.

This should, under most conditions, allow you to determine if it is possible to purchase a captive-bred version of an otherwise toxic wild animal. If so, and if that animal has been fed and housed in conditions that would keep it from producing its toxins (assuming that it is the sort of animal that requires certain conditions for toxin production), then you are likely in much better shape. However, whenever mixing species, YMMV....

All the best....
 
1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top