Tropical Fish Keeping banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I’m new to fish tanks and try to get one going for my autistic son. But I’m not doing very good.

let it cycle for about a week and a half before adding and I don’t think it was long enough. Or the pet store is selling sick fish. I can’t get the chemicals right and my fish are dying. I see spots on my glofish fins. So I’m most certain they have ick. But I have two African dwarf frogs too. The water got super cloudy.

I’ve added carbon media to the filter. The ph is 9.0, NO3 and NO2 is 0, KH is 240 and GH is 180. I’ve been using easy balance plus.

Questions:
1. Can I save the 3 glofish?
2. How often do I add the easy balance?
3. Do I need to separate the dwarf frogs?
4. Do I need yo remove water? Or leave it alone?

·
Registered
I have two tanks, one is cycling and one is a 5 gal (Soon to be upgraded)
430 Posts
Cycling can be 1-2 months. Pictures would be good. Do a lot of water changes. Easy balance might be a scam it never worked for me. They must have red spot. Use ich treatment you can buy off of amazon for a good price. You can probably get it from your local pet store. Maybe get a better filter too. Once a tank is stable its very easy to maintain. Don't give up. Live plants solve many problems but you need special substrate.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Felidae Grass Whiskers Carnivore Snout

I did a water change today. Vacuumed the gravel and took out about 25% of the water. I was able to save my other fish and they seem happier. Better filter might be a good idea.

·
Registered
I have two tanks, one is cycling and one is a 5 gal (Soon to be upgraded)
430 Posts
The water seems to be looking better. You could try doing a floating plant like salvinia. It doesn't need anything special or extra nutrients but can really help a tank. The only one I would avoid is duckweed because its near impossible to get rid of once its in your tank. The tank looks very pretty. i would buy a few more glofish because white skirt tetras (what glofish are) are a schooling fish.

·
Registered
68 Posts
You water is very hard and the PH is way too high for glofish, and for a lot of other species too. I would stop using the additives as they are only adding to the problem and increasing the TDS. You need to try and find a way to soften the water a little and drop that PH down. R/O water can be purchased at most LFS, or rain water can be collected, or even some bottled drinking water, if it has a lower PH and little TDS. I don't think the traditional ways of lowering the PH with peat and bogwood etc would have much effect on your set up as the higher KH would nullify the acidifying effects of the organic materials. All I can suggest really is sourcing some other water and getting that PH down.

Hope this helps

·
Registered
68 Posts
Also of it is ick then the easiest way to treat that is to increase the temperature and to add a little aquarium salt. It's an easy fix, but you really need to deal with the PH and water hardness issue first as adding salt will only add to that problem. Ick is no big deal though and very easily cured using the temp and salt method.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts