Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! I'm fairly new to the aquarium keeping hobby, so please forgive any noobiness and my many questions. Hope someone out there is nice enough to read all this and help me out. I bolded the main questions I have so that it'll be easier to refer to, or if you don't want to read the whole thing you can just skip to them.

Two months ago I thought I found an AMAZING deal. I found this Cube Aquarium: A Perfect Beginner Fish Tank | Tetra WaterWonders (1.5 gal) for half price! Quite impulsively, I bought it without thinking very much. At this point I had NO knowledge of how to keep fish... and, as the box suggested, I thought I could house a few tetras or guppies. I was on the verge of buying them but thankfully I didn't! I did a ton of research afterwards, and discovered how ridiculously small 1.5 g is :neutral:. Also discovered it'd be very close to torture keeping any type of fish in there.

So, naturally, I was quite upset. I reeeaaaally was looking forward to having fish, and not only that... I realized I pretty much wasted my money. Darn Zellers was selling the tank for $40 (RIP OFF!). With the sale, I got it for $20... and it was missing parts. Anyhow, after more research, I opted for red cherry shrimp. After about a month of cycling, I bought myself 4 rcs, java fern, and a marimo moss ball (added some java moss and a banana plant afterwards). After about 2 days, baby shrimp appeared in my tank! My happiness didn't last very long, though, because the next day 3 of the adults died :shock:.

I noticed the three that died were different than the one that survived... They were a bit larger, and had more of any orange-y tone to them. The one that survived was mostly clear when I got it, and smaller. I assumed it was male... but now I'm doubting it. S/he's turned a solid and vibrant red, no orange tone. :???: The three that died were also extremely inactive as soon as I acclimated them into the tank. They bunched up into the corner with each other, while the other one was actively grazing on the plants. I'm quite confused with this whole thing. Why were they so different?

It's been around 2 weeks since I bought the shrimp now, and the single shrimp is doing great. At any given moment it's either swimming around or grazing/nibbling on something. I'm planning to get him some company very, very soon (Just been busy with midterms, still a student). Strangely, though, I never see the babies anymore! I used to see them on the glass or against the black filter, but I never see them anymore and now I'm concerned. Checked inside the filter, nothing was in there. I saw a single baby the other day, and it looked larger than before, so that's good news. But I'm wondering where all the rest of the babies are... I used to be able to count 7 when they first appeared.

Even though I've had this tank for a very short time, I'm scrapping it and upgrading. I'm getting a 5.5 gal from a friend who is upgrading. I know 5.5 gal is still pretty small, but I was just wondering, is there ANYTHING I can put in there with my shrimp? Perhaps another species of shrimp? I've done my fish research, and from my knowledge 5.5 is only suitable for a betta. I heard bettas might harass my shrimp and eat the babies, though! :sad: Does anyone have experience with bettas and shrimp? A few people have suggested endler's fish or mosquito rasboras... but I'm extremely doubtful. I also went to the pet store and asked a worker, and was returned with a blank stare. He told me a lot of fish could fit, and suggested some black moors :shock:. That TOTALLY didn't sound right to me...

Anyhow, I'd still like to fulfill my original wish and have fish, even though I love my shrimp. But if a shrimp only tank is my only option, so be it! Just a few more questions before I'm done!

How often should I clean the tank, and how? Here are some details about my tank:

I'm really confused as to how to clean the tank. Will the plants reduce the amount of cleaning I need? And do I just not touch the stratum?

I bought the Java moss and fern knowing they were beginner plants with very small demands. However, I'm pretty sure the small lamp my tank comes with is useless... so right now my fluorescent table lamp is being used. Is that okay? I'll admit the banana plant and moss ball were pretty spontaneous purchases... I saw them in the shrimp tanks at the store and was taken by how cute they are! Any tips on how to care for a marimo moss ball/banana plant?

and laaaaaaaast question! If I got a 10 gal instead of a 5.5 gal, how much more could I fit in my tank, with regards to the shrimp colony, AND the potential to add new fish? Keep in mind the substrate will be staying at the fluval shrimp stratum. It causes a dust storm if disturbed and, if I remember correctly, it increases pH.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Also feel free to add any useful tips!

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
With shrimp, theres never any guarentee of safety with tankmates. I've heard of Oscar living with shrimp before, also heard of tiny fry(baby fish btw) biting the heads off shrimp 2-3 times their size. My betta loves shrimp I found out, probably taste like chicken. As to cleaning the tank, many people keep snails as well and they keep the "stratum" (the gravel, sand dirt or whatever at the bottom is often called substrate) fairly clean. Vacuuming the substrate is not a good idea usually. Live plants help with absorbing ammonia and keeping the water toxin free to a point. Changing the water 50% a week is encouraged with fish normally but with a planted shrimp only tank 25% should be plenty.

Welcome to teh forum :)

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Hi! I'm fairly new to the aquarium keeping hobby, so please forgive any noobiness and my many questions. Hope someone out there is nice enough to read all this and help me out. I bolded the main questions I have so that it'll be easier to refer to, or if you don't want to read the whole thing you can just skip to them.

Two months ago I thought I found an AMAZING deal. I found this Cube Aquarium: A Perfect Beginner Fish Tank | Tetra WaterWonders (1.5 gal) for half price! Quite impulsively, I bought it without thinking very much. At this point I had NO knowledge of how to keep fish... and, as the box suggested, I thought I could house a few tetras or guppies. I was on the verge of buying them but thankfully I didn't! I did a ton of research afterwards, and discovered how ridiculously small 1.5 g is :neutral:. Also discovered it'd be very close to torture keeping any type of fish in there.

So, naturally, I was quite upset. I reeeaaaally was looking forward to having fish, and not only that... I realized I pretty much wasted my money. Darn Zellers was selling the tank for $40 (RIP OFF!). With the sale, I got it for $20... and it was missing parts. Anyhow, after more research, I opted for red cherry shrimp. After about a month of cycling, I bought myself 4 rcs, java fern, and a marimo moss ball (added some java moss and a banana plant afterwards). After about 2 days, baby shrimp appeared in my tank! My happiness didn't last very long, though, because the next day 3 of the adults died :shock:.

I noticed the three that died were different than the one that survived... They were a bit larger, and had more of any orange-y tone to them. The one that survived was mostly clear when I got it, and smaller. I assumed it was male... but now I'm doubting it. S/he's turned a solid and vibrant red, no orange tone. :???: The three that died were also extremely inactive as soon as I acclimated them into the tank. They bunched up into the corner with each other, while the other one was actively grazing on the plants. I'm quite confused with this whole thing. Why were they so different?

It's been around 2 weeks since I bought the shrimp now, and the single shrimp is doing great. At any given moment it's either swimming around or grazing/nibbling on something. I'm planning to get him some company very, very soon (Just been busy with midterms, still a student). Strangely, though, I never see the babies anymore! I used to see them on the glass or against the black filter, but I never see them anymore and now I'm concerned. Checked inside the filter, nothing was in there. I saw a single baby the other day, and it looked larger than before, so that's good news. But I'm wondering where all the rest of the babies are... I used to be able to count 7 when they first appeared.

Even though I've had this tank for a very short time, I'm scrapping it and upgrading. I'm getting a 5.5 gal from a friend who is upgrading. I know 5.5 gal is still pretty small, but I was just wondering, is there ANYTHING I can put in there with my shrimp? Perhaps another species of shrimp? I've done my fish research, and from my knowledge 5.5 is only suitable for a betta. I heard bettas might harass my shrimp and eat the babies, though! :sad: Does anyone have experience with bettas and shrimp? A few people have suggested endler's fish or mosquito rasboras... but I'm extremely doubtful. I also went to the pet store and asked a worker, and was returned with a blank stare. He told me a lot of fish could fit, and suggested some black moors :shock:. That TOTALLY didn't sound right to me...

Anyhow, I'd still like to fulfill my original wish and have fish, even though I love my shrimp. But if a shrimp only tank is my only option, so be it! Just a few more questions before I'm done!

How often should I clean the tank, and how? Here are some details about my tank:

I'm really confused as to how to clean the tank. Will the plants reduce the amount of cleaning I need? And do I just not touch the stratum?

I bought the Java moss and fern knowing they were beginner plants with very small demands. However, I'm pretty sure the small lamp my tank comes with is useless... so right now my fluorescent table lamp is being used. Is that okay? I'll admit the banana plant and moss ball were pretty spontaneous purchases... I saw them in the shrimp tanks at the store and was taken by how cute they are! Any tips on how to care for a marimo moss ball/banana plant?

and laaaaaaaast question! If I got a 10 gal instead of a 5.5 gal, how much more could I fit in my tank, with regards to the shrimp colony, AND the potential to add new fish? Keep in mind the substrate will be staying at the fluval shrimp stratum. It causes a dust storm if disturbed and, if I remember correctly, it increases pH.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Also feel free to add any useful tips!

I would keep it as shrimp only. They create little to no bioload, and you can get away with very little maintance on water changes. If you start adding fish, you will need to do weekly water changes. I check my water regularly in my RCS tank, with live plants, and my nitrates are always at 0. I've learned you have to be very careful when you take out water, as you will likely suck up babies. If your ph is above 7.2, they may not breed. Your babies could have been sucked up by the filter (there are stages where they are literally the size of a flea and white in color). I have a sponge filter over my intake, so this doesn't happen. You need to make sure there is food in the tank for the babies to eat. I found RCS love cucumber, but have recently bought shrimp food by Fluval. They do need protein in addition to grazing off algae. Flake food can work too. If you had shrimp die, I'm wondering if you add ammonia in your tank, as it probably wasn't cycled, I assume. Over feeding can cause an ammonia spike.

If you did get a 10 gal, and put in lots of java moss, the babies would have a place to hid from fish, but all fish will eat the shrimp, if they can fit them in their mouths. They breed like crazy so you could do that, and have the population in check, by having fish eat them. The fluval substrate for fish does buffer ph, but these shrimp do not like hard alkaline water.

One more thing. I would only take water out off the top, don't mess with the substrate at all.

Welcome to the forum!
Gwen

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'll probably just keep it a shrimp only tank, just to be safe, then. Still haven't really seen the babies, besides one this morning. I covered my filter intake with a sponge filter too, but it's quite porous.. not sure it's 100% safe for them yet. Found no babies in the filter though, so I guess (or hope) they're all hiding in the java moss.

Thanks for the advice, and welcomes! :-D

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
I'll probably just keep it a shrimp only tank, just to be safe, then. Still haven't really seen the babies, besides one this morning. I covered my filter intake with a sponge filter too, but it's quite porous.. not sure it's 100% safe for them yet. Found no babies in the filter though, so I guess (or hope) they're all hiding in the java moss.

Yes, they will hide in java moss

·
Registered
1 Posts
Yes a shrimp only tank is the way too go !
I have bettas and cichlids and they both love shrimp, even pictus catfish. Bettas just tear them apart for fun and the cichlids eat them ritaway !

They r so much fun 2watch n there own tank bcuz they dont hav 2hide.
They love 2b wit corydoras. Hav 1cory 2 every 10. They lov 2play.

Make sure u use food that sinks. 1pellet per 10 shrimp.

I love my babbyz

·
Registered
1,661 Posts

A shrimp only tank is the best idea. I put some of mine over to my tank with German Rams, because I just have too many in the shrimp tank (it's only 3 gallons). I figure I have so many plants and hiding places, so . . . I dumped babies right into the java moss, and I'm sure they are still there. Sadly, a couple hours later, I could see remains of a body from one of the grown females I put in there. She was hanging out in the open on a plant, and seemed to have no clue she was in danger. :-( Just too used to not having to worry about predators, I guess. I'm still hoping some of the babies make it, and can live in there, staying clear of the other fish. Probably not likely, so yes, if you want to enjoy them, put them in their own tank.

Gwen

1 - 7 of 7 Posts