Tropical Fish Keeping banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 6.5 gallon tank with 2 female mollies (1 yellow colored balloon & 1 black) plus 2 little panda cory catfish... my balloon gave birth today and afterward something has been wrong... she will stop swimming and be straight head up tail down not moving... if she is startled she starts swimming again for a few seconds and then stops and is straight up and down again completely still even her fins... kinda like when someone dozes off falling asleep... I tried giving her a salt bath and she seemed to like it but, put her back in tank after and she is still the same as before... but, this all started after she birthed 8 fry today (may be more I haven't found)... water parameters are pH 8.0, ammonia & nitrites 0, nitrates 5.0... any suggestions as to what could be wrong or what to do to help her??

·
Registered
10g: 8 young golden Dalmatian mollies 1 neon tetra 2 nerite snails 10g: 2 nerites, soon molies fr t1
174 Posts
Watch her closely, leave her alone. She should get better in a few days. Some mollies do this after giving birth.

·
Registered
10g: 8 young golden Dalmatian mollies 1 neon tetra 2 nerite snails 10g: 2 nerites, soon molies fr t1
174 Posts
And side, note, mollies give birth to more than eight most of the time. They probably got eaten.

·
Registered
174 Posts
The mother will eat her own young. It is rare, though not unheard of, to have less than twenty fry. Maybe you’re one of those exceptions. How old is your molly? How large?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts