Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks I am planning on starting a 75 gallon cichlid tank. This would be my first cichlid tank. I was thinking of starting with a South American species. Any advice? Set up? Water?
I was planning on using RO water with mineral additions.
Jim

·
Registered
9 Posts
My advice would be to get the tank setup and stable before adding south American Cichilds. Keep the temp up, 80 seemed to work for me and make sure you keep the nitrate levels low. Once they get established in a tank... they are really fun to keep and very pretty. Have you picked which Cichlids you are going to keep?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have not selected the cichlids yet. What do you suggest?
What substrate do you use?
You have live plants?
What kind of filtration?

I’m thinking of using a freshwater sump system for filtration.
Thoughts.
Thanks for the feedback
Jim

·
Registered
9 Posts
Take a look on-line on the type you want. It depends if you want to keep the smaller SA cichlids or the larger ones. I tend to like the smaller ones, rams, Aptisos, etc...

On the Substrate, it depends on the type of plants you are planning on using. I've used everything from Homedepot playground sand to the expensive planted tank substrates. My favorite, and this is only my opinion from what I've used, I like the seachem flourite substrates. It can get pricey if you are doing a 75 gallon tank. My 72 Gallon has playground sand in it. I attached a picture.

I currently don't have any tanks with sumps....Although I think it would would work and they are easier to do maintenance on.

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts