Votes: 0 0.0%
  • EHEIM Classic external canister

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, so my birthday is coming up in like 2 weeks and as of right now, i will be upgrading my 10 gallon tank to a 46 gallon pentagonal tank, and i am researching filters. i dont have hundreds of dollars to spend on a filter, but at the same time i want one that will work well. so here are a few i found, let me know what ya'll think of each one and which would be the better buy.

rena filstar external canister $61.99

EHEIM Classic EC $69.99 (this is a little more than i want to spend but i still want to know what you think about it for future reference. )

Aqua Clear by hagen $19.99, $27.99

Emperor Power (BIO) Filter $35.99

Marineland Penguin Bio-wheel power filter $21.00

Vortex Diatom filter $68.89

i plan on housing primarily either angels, discus or gourami, with a pebble substrate. i would also like advice on the lighting...i am looking to purchase a new flourescent bulb for my 10 gallon tank. i want one thats a bit brighter and i came across the spectramax super daylight bulb. any thoughts? thanks alot!

bri

·
Banned
750 Posts
When selecting a filter, it's usually best to go above and beyond the rating for your tank. Otherwise, you may end up spending frequent water changes to reduce ammonia/nitrIte levels.

Since you will be upgrading to a 45 gallon, you should look at filters that are rated for at least 60 gallons or more. Of course, if you plan to have fish that produce lots of waste, then it's best to get bigger filters, maybe with ratings for 75 gallons or more.

Eheim Filters are known to be the Porche of filters. Of course, with the name, also comes with the cost of the filter. For a 46 gallon, I would suggest either a Eheim Ecco 2234 or 2236. Filstars are ok and I own one myself, but I much prefer the Eheim. The FilStar XP filters DO NOT come with enough media. On the lower end models of FilStar XP1 and XP2, it's best to go with the Eheim Ecco filters, since they already include ALL the media you need to operate it. Plus I like the Eheims becuase it has an nice handle to carry, which also operates as a shut-off and primer for the filter.

HOB filters (Aqua Clear, Marineland Emperor/Pengion Biowheels) do not have enough surface area for the nitrifying bacteria to colonize. The bio-wheel is supposed to help in bio filtration, but I don't really know how much. The Pengiun Bio-wheels are actually a cheaper designs of the Emperor bio-wheels. If you had to decide, ALWAYS go with the Emperors. The reason is, the penguin models bio-wheel turn by the force of the water exiting the filter. If the water flow does not touch the bio-wheel, it will not turn. The emperor models have a spray bar above the bio-wheel to help turn it.

Vortex Diatom filters are basically clarifiers, which are not made to run 24/7, like other filters. Diatom filters help remove algae/parasites becuase of the micron filters. You also need to use diatomic powder with the filter. These type of filters are a PITA to start.

·
Registered
143 Posts
OK Eddie, I am not going to debate filters with you at the moment (although it looks like this forum could use a couple of good old filter debates), but you are wrong on the HOB filters.

Bri, these are my top 4:

1: EHEIM. As Eddie said these are ussauly the un debated best of filters.

2: Emperor Power (BIO) Filter $35.99 Your second best choice, if you can not afford a Eheim.

3: Marineland Penguin Bio-wheel power filter $21.00, not as good as the Emperors (they have a spray bar for the wheel, plus more media capacity).

4: Aqua Clear by hagen $19.99, $27.99, I do not like these as much.

·
Banned
750 Posts
LOL

I have some experience with the filters mentioned. I own 2 Emperor 280's, an Emperor 400, AquaClear 20, FilStar XP3, Eheim Pro II 2128, 2 Eheim Ecco 2234, Eheim Ecco 2236, and some kind of Tetra Whisper and a similar filter from Walmart.

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
I know all of these filters, and many more. I have had long debates with the company reps, and have worked with fixing them for the customers, too. Top of the line is Eheim, of course, but you will pay for it. The Marineland filters, Penguin and Emporer filters are good, but tend to need a lot of "fixing" as time goes on. They are noted for issues. AquaClear is a good brand, they're sturdy and tend to last a long time, easy to maintain, and easy to fit in as much media as you need. Tetra filters are also good, though they, like the Marineland filters, don't provide much space for extra media when needed. One I was suprised not to see on the list is the Cascade put out by PenPlax. This is a good, sturdy filter, lots of media room, and easy to find parts should something break. They weren't so good when they first came onto the market, but the reps and I had many long conversations and I voiced a lot of complaints until they made some changes. Siince the changes over the past yr or 2, they are a good filter and a lot cheaper than the Eheim. The cascade is also pretty easy to use, easy to prime.
I'd avoid Magnum filters like the plague, as they're the most popular for issues.
Hope this helps a bit.

·
Banned
750 Posts
My only problem with AC filters is if you need to rinse out the sponge filter, you need to remove the whole tray. Whereas, with the Emperors, you can remove either or both trays at your leasure.

I've seen allot of hobbyist who recently purchased PenPlax filters and had problems. FilStar, still problematic, was the highest rated, next to Eheim.

I found the Eheim Ecco filters the easiest to prime. The handle serves as shutoff and primer.

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
I've never had problems with my Cascade since they upgraded the shut off valves. I've had it since they were new on the market, and it does wonders for my oscar tank.
As for the AC fliters, the sponge isn't supposed to be rinsed unless it gets really dirty, and this should be done in dirty tank water, never under the tap. With the AC filters, I like the fact that they leave a lot of space for filter media, and lifting a sponge out of it has never been much trouble for me. The AC also has a good water flow to it and the parts are sturdy. The AC was the one we did the least amount of repairs on during my 8 yrs at the store and they work well for saltwater, too.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
the only reason i had not heard of cascade by penplax is because i was looking for something i could purchase at petsmart, which is the only major fish retailer around here, and these were the choices available to me within my price range. thanks so much for all of your input! i would love to hear from blue too...

·
Registered
706 Posts
I voted for the canister filter in the poll, because I have heard they are excellent. Personally, I have always used the HOB aquaclear filters. They last and last, are very user friendly, and my tanks are very clean. There is plenty of current and biological filtering going on.

I have a small marineland aquarium with the built-in bio-wheel filter and I'm not at all impressed with it. It just doesn't seem to move much water at all, and I have resorted to adding aeration with an airstone to keep the tank clear.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I'm looking into gettting the Aquaclear power filters, I use the Tetra power filters, but I'd prefer to have more control over my media.

I've never used a external canister filter before. I did try to hook up a Fluval canister filter to my 30 gallon, don't remember the model, but it was old -- used by my husband maybe 10 years ago. There was this big O-ring that was a huge pain and never really fit right. I gave up on it, and got quite wet in the process. The valves were difficult to close as well. Since then I've been quite hesitant about canisters -- can someone explain why the Eheim for example is so preferred? Are they easy to use? Is it O-ring free? :)

·
Banned
750 Posts
All canisters use O-rings, I guess, to create a good seal. Eheims have been known to be very good filters, solild, strong motors. I believe their Eheim classic canister filters are the first ones made, and are STILL being made.

I own an Eheim Pro II 2128, 2 Eheim Ecco 2234, an Eheim Ecco 2236, and a FilStar XP3, along with Aquaclear 20, 2 Marineland Emperor 280s and an Marineland Emperor 400, The Emperor 400 was my first filter, which was after I had used UGF filters. I had heard so much about Eheim filters, so I decided to buy one. With it being my first canister filter, I had nothing to compare it to, so I couldn't really say I was impressed.

I later purchased a FilStar XP3, becuase I heard it was 2nd to the Eheim, but not the best quality compared to Eheim. The casing on the Eheim Pro II appeared to be sturdier than the FilStar. When the FilStar media pads got clogged, the flow would tend to slow down, which is very noticeable. The Eheim canister filter does not appear to slow down, so I would have to occassionally check to see if I need to replace the media pads. Also the Eheim Pro II 2128 appears to hold more media compared to the Filstar XP3. Both filters are supposed to be for aquariums up to 150 gallons. I had some extra media that I used on my Eheim Pro II 2128. Strangely, the extra media was enough to fill ALL the media trays in my FilStar XP3, which I knew would not be enough to completely fill the Eheim Pro II 2128.

I have heard that people have had problems with FilStar filter O-rings require replacement soon and also lubricating the connections, but I haven't had to do that with mine yet. Though I have the replacements parts already.

I recently purchased Eheim Ecco filters, becuase I needed smaller filters for smaller tanks. I actually like the Eheim Ecco filters, becuase they are allot simpler to use. Even much simpler than the Eheim Pros. The handle makes it easy to stop/prime the filter and also carry the filter from the tank to the sink for easy cleaning.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Cool, I just put in an order for an Aquaclear for my 30 gallon and an Eheim Ecco canister for my 46 gallon. Gotta try em out.

·
Registered
160 Posts
EHEIM all the way baby! oh and dont go for the ecco- tis poor design and as for the media thats poor to so you dont need it lol :) course this is only my humble opinion, i keep saying it and i will keep on saying it the best media is pourous cermaics- best to get the tubes, they are so infinetly better than sponges!
I first started with the ecco- i still have it in my shed- poor design poor system, i think the only reason this sells is because it self primes, the classic still sells because it is a simple design less to go wrong, and the idea is better!- water goes in the bottom comes out the top so making use of al the media, where as the ecco has water in and out at the top- anyway i have bought 3 classics they are all working and are all hooked up to aquariums still.
I would go along with the advice tht you should go for a greater capacity than your tank, better safe than sorry - you dont want to underspend on what will be the heart of your tank. If you dont choose eheim make sure you choose a filter with flow taps, chances are you wont need the full flow, so its always good to have the option of turning it down.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
what about a fluval 304 versus a eheim 2015, 2222, or 2213?

thanks

bri

·
Registered
160 Posts
Ok here is my advice just go for the eheim, its prettier if nothing else, seriously look at those ugly intake /outpipes on the fluval- they will be visible in your tank lol :)
Im sure you can get alot of fluval for your money but quality is what you are looking at here. some of the greatest tanks are run on eheims, im sure fluval will work but i have seen aquarium owners with fantastic tanks that will only trust their prize possessions with eheim.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts