Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all! :smile2:

I am a new member to this forum and site. So far, it has been extremely informative and helpful to me! I appreciate all of you, the information you provide, and the insightful views you all have. Thank you! I was hoping to get some insight for my new plan on a tank setup.

I currently plan to stock a tank with two angelfish, and have also four coryfish within the tank. I cannot decide if two angelfish & cory-friends should have a 36 gal or 46 gal tank. It would not be a planted tank.

I also have been debating about a style of filtration to go with. I currently own a 20 gal tank with a HOB Fluval C3 Power Filter which does a lovely job along with a weekly water change. I do not think that weekly water changes should stop despite what filtration system I choose to go with. The alternative option besides a HOB filter was a canister filter, specifically the Fluval 306 canister filtration system.

I was hoping that some insight could be provided for me to help decide what would be the best environment for these fish! Any help or opinion is valued! Thank you all in advance.:grin2:

Sincerely,
-Phoenix

·
Registered
5,201 Posts
Welcome!

I would definitely suggest getting the largest tank you can fit/afford. Aside from opening up stocking and aquascaping options, the larger tank is actually more forgiving than a small tank and easier to maintain water quality.

I would also suggest a canister filter to go with that tank. I’ve had a few fluvals over the years, including that models predecessor (the 305, and the larger 405) and while they are great filters, I just don’t think the value is there for the money spent. I also have a few filstar XP filters and they too are fantastic, but I feel the same about them as I do the fluvals. My choice is the sunsun brand. For either size tank, I would be looking at the 303 model (370 gph). Were you interested in a fluval, then yes the 306 or 406 would be the way to go. You might even be able to get a 305 or 405 for a good deal, since they are the older models. Canisters are definitely the way to go for larger tanks.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Welcome Phoenix, Glad to have you on the forum. As Jaysee says if you can get a bigger tank, that is always better. If you are going to have a 46gal tank, then I would suggest the Marineland Penguine 350, or Aquaclear 110. Why do you need such a big filter for a tank this size? You don't need it, but in my opinion, you can never have enough filtration in your tank. That being said, if you already have the canister filter, then by all means, use it. If you don't, I would not recommend paying for canister filter prices for a 46 gal tank. Granted SunSun is a decent filtration system, and pretty cheap, but I have never used them so i cannot comment on them.

·
Registered
5,201 Posts
I suggest canisters for every size tank because of their superior performance and because they are silent. Yeah aquaclears are quiet, for a HOB. Noisy compared to a canister. If you’ve only got one tank it might not be a big deal, but when you have several the harmony of hums can be overwhelming for people entering your space. When you’re in it all the time you don’t realize just how loud it is.

Sunsun is a great filtration system, not just decent. One of my favorite features that no other canister has is a built in surface skimmer. As you’ve deduced, I’m not shy about spending money I could have gotten more fluvals and XPs, but chose to buy the cheap sunsuns instead. They are at a comparable price point to the HOBs mentioned.

For what it’s worth, sunsun used to be the manufacturer of marineland canisters.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Awesome! I was thinking the bigger the better for room for the fish. So I'm glad to have a few other opinions that agree with me. Thank you for the help there!

As for the canister filter, Sunsun I have heard of before but not spent the time to learn about them. I know the Fluval brand, and have never had a problem. That isn't to say I cannot branch out! They seem to have good reviews from just what I have seen, and a lot of people have talked about them on the forum. Thank you both for the advice & the welcomes! I greatly appreciate it!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
After checking around on the dreaded Interwebs, I've come to think that having only 3 angelfish is a better option for their compatibility needs. Is this correct, or sound logical to others? Also, I don't want to massively over-crowd this tank, but would like more than just the coryfish in the tank (4 full grown). Would Honey Gouramis & swordtails do well in this environment? From my understanding, this collection would be okay with each other.

I have decided to go with a canister tank, also. Thank you for the solid advice on that. I believe I will be getting a 40 high gal tank (co-worker looking to get rid of the tank), but I can go with the 46 gal if it would be more ideal for the fish. Thank you all, again, for the help & inputs!

Sincerely,
-Phoenix

·
Registered
5,201 Posts
I would stick to 1-2 angels. If you get 3 and 2 pair off they are going make things uncomfortable for the 3rd. If you want to get a mated pair, the. Start with 6 small ones and wait for a pair to emerge naturally, then return the others.

Yes gouramis and livebearers will do well together.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks, jaysee, for the insights. I certainly do not want to have a fish ostracized from the group...if that's a fish thing... Anyway, thank you.

·
Registered
5,201 Posts
That would be a best case scenario for the 3rd. More likely it would be killed either directly or indirectly from the stress of living with the pair.

In a large tank you can do multiple pairs, but that’s an advanced thing to attempt.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Phoenix, I would go with the 46 gal tank and not the 40 tall. The foot print of the 40 tall is almost the same as a 30 gal tank. Fish normally swim side to side. Not up and down

1 - 10 of 10 Posts