Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have recently gotten a new 10 gallon tank with 2 orandas and a small snail. The fish are VERY happy and lively, but the water is so gross looking! It is brownish/green and not clear. I have been feeding the fish twice a day (as per the instructions of the fish store owner) and have recently added two fresh water plants (I thought this would help cut down on the feeding because the fish like to eat the plants). I have had the tank for one week and have been changing the water and vacuuming the gravel but it seems like a futile effort! I know that goldfish are very dirty fish, but this just seems ridiculous! In fact, I'm embarrassed for people to see it. Again, the fish are happy and playful- I'm not worried about their health at this point, but I know that orandas tend toward infections on their wen if their is too much bacteria. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
filter

I do have a filter....in fact, I'm looking into getting a new filter, but I live in Costa Rica and good pet stores with reasonable prices are hard to find. I checked since I posted and the tank is a 20 gallon (and is what the man at the store suggested for the two fish I purchased).

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Well 20 gallon is better. What kind of filter do you have?

Is the tank in a position where it receives direct sunlight?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The tank is actually near an opaque skylight (again - I'm in Costa Rica and its winter here -- I have killed several plants trying to grow them near this light so I don't think its the light thing).

The filter is an Elite (it seems rather small, but it has been so long since I've had fish that I thought that filters were much improved, you know?).

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
I'm not familiar with an elite. Do you have any specifics or maybe a picture?

The skylight might, might be causing an algae bloom.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I attempted to upload a picture from the web, but I don't know if it worked. While finding the picture, I read that the filter is for a 5 gallon tank (aha!). The man at the store sold me a "package deal" and maybe they were trying to get rid of the filter because it didn't have a box or something....I will try a new filter and see how that goes.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Well, I still recommend the penguin 200, it'll be good for fish that messy and it can be moved to a larger tank without needing to be replaced.

If the filter is that small there's a good chance upgrading it will solve a lot of your problems.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
a picture

I took a picture of the tank and will try to upload it so you can see it...maybe that will help.

·
Registered
946 Posts
Call me crazy but that doesn't look anywhere near like 20 gallons to me.

Ideally what you will need for those two fish is a 55 gallon tank. No joking. In a tank that size you'll be doing at least partial water changes on a daily basis. Ew, huh?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
tank size

To be honest, I'm guessing at the size....an educated guess, but I'm used to rectangular aquariums, not round. I picked the fish and asked the man what size tank to get...this is what he told me. I KNOW that he's a salesman, but I would think that he would sell me too large rather than too small, right? To me, and obviously I'm NOT an expert, the fish look like they are ok and have enough room.

Obviously the water quality is an issue, but a 55 gallon tank? I can't see them needing THAT much room!

·
Registered
13,248 Posts
Re: tank size

phoebe said:
To be honest, I'm guessing at the size....an educated guess, but I'm used to rectangular aquariums, not round. I picked the fish and asked the man what size tank to get...this is what he told me. I KNOW that he's a salesman, but I would think that he would sell me too large rather than too small, right? To me, and obviously I'm NOT an expert, the fish look like they are ok and have enough room.

Obviously the water quality is an issue, but a 55 gallon tank? I can't see them needing THAT much room!
You'll be surprised how big these goldfish get. Fancy ones can still reach 8-10 inches so would they still like being cramped?:? Fishbowls are out of style and shouldn't even be sold anymore. These are rather discouraging for proper maintenance.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
All of this is very interesting. The bowl style of tank is very common here and sold most everywhere. I will give the bowl to my boyfriend I guess (he wants a betta) and have to get a larger aquarium. This is a bummer, because fish supplies are very expensive here!

·
Registered
13,248 Posts
If you're located in USA, try looking in Craiglist for tank deals. Watch out for Petco's dollar per gallon sale as well.

·
Registered
5,696 Posts
That's a pretty big fishbowl, but I'd guess it's 20 liters and not 20 gallons. To give you an idea, a 20 gallon fish tank is two feet long, a foot wide, and almost 17 inches tall.

A 55 gallon tank would be suitable for these fish once they are full sized, but if you heavily overfiltered the tank and were really, really good about water changes, I think you could get away with keeping them in something as small as a 40 gallon breeder.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Unfortunately, I am not in the US. I am in Costa Rica and I paid quite a bit of money for the tank that I have here....I guess I will have to bite the bullet and get a new one (don't worry, it's not in me to NOT do whats best for an animal even if it ends of costing me too much money). I am very disgusted with the man who sold me the fish and supplies though, because I was very specific about telling him that I wanted to make sure the fish had enough room. Well, whatever! There's no turning back now. I have two potentially giant goldfish that need my love and affection.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Unfortunately, the filter broke on the fish tank last night right around the time I decided that it would be best to return the fish to the store. I am unable to get a larger aquarium and I need to let the man at the store know that it was unacceptable to sell me fish so unsuited for the tank and filter. I don't know if I will get my money back or if he will trade me smaller fish that are more suited for the environment, but what fish would be best?

·
Registered
5,696 Posts
Well, it *is* a pretty big fishbowl, so assuming you could get a working heater and filter in it, you could definitely keep a betta in there. I think 20 liters is also enough room for a few very small fish, such as:

-Guppies
-Endler's livebearers
-Galaxy rasboras
-Ember tetras
-Neon tetras
-Sparkling gouramis

Also, for pretty much any fish, you'll want to get some sort of covering so that they don't go jumping out.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts