Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a newly setup 45g tank, with fish in it for three days now, with only plastic plants. Just received my test kit, and got Ph=7.8, Ammonia=0.5ppm, Nitrite=0ppm, Nitrate=10ppm. We started with tap water, used Prime, waited 24h, used API QuickStart and added fish (2 guppies, 3 neon tetras).

I think that makes the Ph a bit high, but wonder if it makes more sense to just monitor until the fish have been in the tank for more than a few days. (I suppose I could measure the Ph of tap water to see what our water supply is...)

Advice for a newbie? Thx.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I
I think that makes the Ph a bit high, but wonder if it makes more sense to just monitor until the fish have been in the tank for more than a few days. (I suppose I could measure the Ph of tap water to see what our water supply is...)

Advice for a newbie? Thx.
  • Absolutely measure the tap water. The pH will not go any lower than your tap without a lot of chemical addition that are stressful to your fish. Playing with dynamite is less dangerous than playing with the pH in an aquarium, You are asking for a pH crash which will probably destroy your tank.

·
Registered
690 Posts
A stable pH that's slightly out of range is better than one that fluctuates. There's a lot more that has to be taken into account, hardness, TDS, the only reliable way to change the pH is to start with RO, gives you a blank slate. Changing the pH of tap water is difficult at best, deadly at worst.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Reverse osmosis, removes all the minerals from the water. Hardness stabilizes pH, hardness is the mineral content. You adjust the pH, then remineralize to stabilize the pH.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
pH rises as carbon dioxide goes down.

So your "high" pH probably means low carbon dioxide. Which the fish should appreciate.

getting a particualr pH value with chemicals can change all that..

my .02

1 - 7 of 7 Posts