Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. New to the forum. I've had a few tanks in the past so maybe I'm just being paranoid. I recently got a 29 gallon tank off craigslist. I checked and it was in good condition with no leaks. After I filled it completely I noticed it expanded a little. (Shows when lid is on and using a level on front glass) how much if any should a tank expand when full?? I'd hate to wake up with a wet floor.

·
Registered
47 Posts
A little flex is probably normal, but a couple of quick questions. I assume the tank does not have a center top brace (they're usually reserved for bigger tanks). Is the tank glass and not acrylic? Is the back bowing slightly too, or just the front? Does the top plastic frame show any evidence of a hairline crack?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The tank does not have a brace and it is glass. The back doesn't seem to be bowing as much. When I mentioned the front is bowing its a very small amount. I checked the top and couldn't see any hairline cracks(whew)
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
690 Posts
Measure the glass thickness, it could be a herp tank which isn't designed to hold water.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's definitely for a fish tank. Guy bought it is as a set with a stand. Had all original stuff with it.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
9,426 Posts
hi
just wondering what make of tank is it ?

·
Registered
679 Posts
Check the silicone and glass thickness. The front glass may have been replaced with thinner glass. If so that is bad news.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts