Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally got my 2.5 shrimp tank set up! My homemade sponge filter seeded for a few days, I think 5 or more, I wasn't really keeping track. I felt it was safe enough due to the gunk the sponge built up. I gave the sponge a good squeeze in dirty tank water then put it into the 2.5 gallon tank. The tank has a thin layer of gravel from my established 20 gallon long, and a good amount of java moss and some wisteria.
I was just wondering if I will need to add an airstone to the tank if the filter is already making bubbles in the water? The filter is not producing the amount of bubbles I would like, but is it good enough?
Also, any other suggestions for the tank? Everything helps! :)
I will try to post a video as soon as I figure it out!
Thanks a bunch!
-Liz

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
no airstone. Shrimp aren't a bubble fan.. at all. I love shkrimps;-) What kind will you be getting ?
So they don't need the extra oxygen? And I am just plopping in my RCS that were isolated in a net breeder in my 20 gal. My mollies were picking on them too much. Poor babies

·
Reference Team
1,573 Posts
So they don't need the extra oxygen? And I am just plopping in my RCS that were isolated in a net breeder in my 20 gal. My mollies were picking on them too much. Poor babies
Your plants create oxygen and so should your filter. Only one tank I own has a bubbler and that is for looks because my daughter insisted. My shrimp tank has never seen a bubbler. and some pretty hard to keep shrimp are in there. Only major shrimp losses I've had were in a tank with my bichir..and then in my shrimp tank while out of town the fish sitter the first 2 trips over fed. Then one overly dramatic blue velvet shrimp thought keeling over during the first hr of a power out a few days ago to be appropriate :roll:.. drama king! So,, yea no airstone.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sounds great! Thanks! :)
I am also hoping to get some other colored shrimp if I can get new tanks. I think it'd be cool to have some blue shrimp. Maybe greens too ^-^

·
Registered
72 Posts
If you want blue go for Orange eyed Blue Tiger shrimps, I have a few in with my Amano's and fish and they are always active and will not be bullied by creatures 10x the size, also hoping they will breed as they don't need brackish water like the Amano's.

I wouldn't have a tank without shrimp in, they make it such a better place.

·
Reference Team
1,573 Posts
Oooh, and those are my fav of all the shrimp I have kept! Orange eyed blue tigers are the only thing I've ever considered breeding. Pricey but worth it ! I think I got the better price on them from elite inverts .

Sent from Petguide.com App

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sorry I'm late!! Here is my shrimp tank! Most of my girls are berried at the moment, so I am hoping for a bunch soon! I have a pot of 4 wisteria stalks, floating wisteria leaves, about a handful of java moss and a sponge filter in there with about 14 cherries, and a ghost(?) that the lfs guy accidently caught when I bought my guppies a few months back. Currently, I have a swordtail fry in there as the horny little devil stresses all my girls out ( he seems to like the big mollys and little guppies most, that creep)

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

1 - 9 of 9 Posts