Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello wake49:
A nice way to promote information but I would like to know who are providing peer_ Reviews, will it be as it is now all community members have a chance to offer thoughtful opinions or will the peer-Review of articles be restricted to specific individuals defined by member status?

Is there a specific agenda the peer-Review will follow?
How will issues as copy rights and plagiarism be resolved (use of citations)?
What are the criteria for the reviewer’s selection and article selection?
Will the peer-Review be fact based (meaning will reviews be restricted to primary, secondary ect. sources) or can distortion of facts (distortion by omission) be considered valid?

You maybe opening Pandora’s Box for folks like me who have many opinions and a willingness to vigorously express my views.

Pop

·
Registered
3,667 Posts
Hello wake49:
A nice way to promote information but I would like to know who are providing peer_ Reviews, will it be as it is now all community members have a chance to offer thoughtful opinions or will the peer-Review of articles be restricted to specific individuals defined by member status?

Is there a specific agenda the peer-Review will follow?
How will issues as copy rights and plagiarism be resolved (use of citations)?
What are the criteria for the reviewer’s selection and article selection?
Will the peer-Review be fact based (meaning will reviews be restricted to primary, secondary ect. sources) or can distortion of facts (distortion by omission) be considered valid?

You maybe opening Pandora’s Box for folks like me who have many opinions and a willingness to vigorously express my views.

Pop
Thanks for asking this. I am glad you brought this up.

I would like to hear from a few members as to how we should handle this. My first idea was that the members of the moderating team that were proficient in the topic review them, but I don't think that is fair for the community to not have a say. Maybe the community can chose a "peer" for us and we can have a moderator and a peer member review it and if they agree, we post it?

I will add a poll after we discuss this further so other members of the community and moderating team can help us come to a resolution that will benefit everyone.

Thanks again for bringing this up,
-wake49

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Well, I for one, would be disappointed if I felt my posts were being reviewed for anything other than site rule violations. Otherwise, one of the site rules needs to be having a certain level of knowledge / experience. Such a rule would all but eliminate 90% of threads. That would leave the site with a series of high level discussions well above the understanding of the average beginner and would negate one of our primary missions. Please correct me if I am misunderstanding the issue.

·
Registered
3,667 Posts
Well, I for one, would be disappointed if I felt my posts were being reviewed for anything other than site rule violations. Otherwise, one of the site rules needs to be having a certain level of knowledge / experience. Such a rule would all but eliminate 90% of threads. That would leave the site with a series of high level discussions well above the understanding of the average beginner and would negate one of our primary missions. Please correct me if I am misunderstanding the issue.
I believe you might be misunderstanding.

There is a new "Reference Section" of Tropical Fish Keeping that will be the home to the Fish Profiles and Peer-Reviewed Articles on Fish Keeping and Water Quality. This particular thread is about those Peer-Reviewed articles for that section. Our desire is to have accurate, fact-based articles in that section and those would need peer-review in order to check for accuracy and legitimacy.

Your regular posts here on TFK will not be reviewed for accuracy by the team or other members in this sense. Keep in mind though, there is still room for disagreement here on TFK and all members/mods might not agree with what you post and this will lead to discussion within the thread about the accuracy and legitimacy of the post (but this is a normal occurence in any online community).

Hope that clears it up.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts