Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just added anuibis to drift wood and anothrt to rock, how long does it take to attach. water lilly from bulbs actually sprouted should they be foreground or back? Any kompakt dont last out the same with witeria

Thanks

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
First, what size tank, what type of fish and what's the substrate?

True water lily's usually get way too big for most tanks, foreground or background. Anubias can take weeks or months to attach really securely on objects, it grows slowly.

I'm totally confused by your last sentence...?

Reactions: willow

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It is 20 gallon tank, the other plants are hygrophila 'kompakt' these are the ones getting jacked up, i had water lilly up front had to move to back of tank.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It is 20 gallon tank, the other plants are hygrophila 'kompakt' these are the ones getting jacked up, i had water lilly up front had to move to back of tank.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I added a small piece of driftwood week ago

I already had a decent size piece, it's a 20 gallon tank. PH is low but amnonia and nitrates are reading yellow in test tubes, How do I raise the PH it's probably like 6 or pale yellow on the chart.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
How many posts before can do aquarium chat?

Trying to get answer on why Hygrophila Kompakt plants cant survive a couple of days without the fish jacking it up

·
Registered
840 Posts
What kind of fish do you have?
There might be more to it thanjust rambunctiousness and aggression.

My cichlids used to destroy plants in under 24 hours till I started feeding them fresh veg. Now I can keep plants in with them. They love frozen corn and peas... won't eat green beans or carrots. They still uproot a plant or two a couple times a week but before it was just shreds I would find in the tank the next day. If its your fish that are messing up your plants, try feeding fresh (frozen) veg at each feeding. Worked wonders for me.

You can raise ph A LITTLE by adding coral sand to your tank or a bag in your filter, or use limestone for decoration. It will GRADUALY leach into the water and raise both ph and kh ( carbonate hardness) a little.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have small pleco, 2 angelfish, 2 swordtails, 2 black mollies, 3 platys, 2 pandabear mollies, couple of shrimp that i dont see, always hiding.

·
Registered
840 Posts
Of your fish, the only ones I would worry about would be the mollies. I don't KNOW that they are sensetive to it , but they are weird fish that I really don't know a lot about. The other fish will be fine, definitly.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Old Rookies Question of the Day

Two nymphaea lilly bulbs purchased from walmart in november finally sprouted about week apart. First one is reddish and getting huge, second one is green and staying small. Is it possible to trade with local store the big one?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Limestone and Black 'Sailfin' Mollies, Whats the deal?

I needed to raise the PH as i have two pieces of driftwood, which i'm told keeps ph low.Limestone is suppose to do the opposite. But will it throw the Mollies out of wack?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Should I still use Biozyme for established tank?

I have been doing weekly partial water changes and add 1/8 tsp afterwards. It seems like it sets off bacterial bloom each time?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Recenty acquired bamboo shrimp only lasted two days

One was big 4-5 inches, other was around 2 inches.They seemed to be okay fan hands moving, seemed to fine spot with current, Overight the small one died, This afternoon the big one died. 20 gallon tank, the levels are 0 am, o nitratres, ph7. Did they starve??

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Bio-Wheel on filter isnt spinning

Shouldn't it be moving if not constant motion? I rarely see it spinning, water flow seems good.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts