Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello need some input please. I have a tank that has a 2 inch Hum trigger and a 3 inch porcupine puffer. They all seem to get along ok. Today I bought a dwarf lion fish. They all still seem to get along, however, the trigger gets real close to the lion and I'm worried about the potential for a sting from the lion to the trigger. Does the trigger have the instincts to know better. The guys at the fish store said they would be ok together. What would be the impact if stung. Thanks

:?:

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
If stung it should not kill the Huma or Picasso trigger. You have some of the same fish my friend keeps in his fish only. Only exception would be that he has a stars and stripes puffer.

For that combo of fish I must stress that you should have them in nothing less than a 100g tank. The lion fish shoudl really be kept in a tank no less than 150g. These are all large carnivores and as such will quickly pollute their water, both in feeding habits and waste production. Offer plenty of rock work for the trigger to dart in and out of. This will help lessen aggression.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the response. At present we have these fish in a 40 gal. Everything seems to be ok. We hope to put a yellow tang and blue naso in at the same time to elimate a territorial fight. Just hope they can co exist with the lion

·
Registered
675 Posts
''The lion fish shoudl really be kept in a tank no less than 150g.''
Mike did you see he said it was a dwarf?-they max out at 7 inches

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
It hadn't hit me until later that it was a dwarf.

That tank is BEYOND maxed out IMO and I would not add any more fish to it period. To say that adding more might stem any sort of aggression, well they are not cichlids that actually do better that way. They will be extremely stressed out. That's ok because both tangs will probably freak out and die right away, especially the naso. A blue naso... That's a new one for me. Probably a powder blue tang. EXTREMELY delicate fish. My money is it will be the first to die. Probably from an ich infestation. Let's keep in mind that all of these fish will get much larger. Even a dwarf lion will be large for a 40 gallon with 5 fish the size of a grown man's hand. A dwarf lion in a 40g by itself or with one small tank mate would be ideal. Any trigger or puffer in a 40g should be kept by itself as they are heavy feeders. I will repeat myself again that they will quickly pollute the water as they grow.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
A 40 gallon tank is rather small for all these large fish you plan on putting in there. You will definately have problems. All these fish should not be kept in anything smaller than a 100 gallon. so unledd you plan on upgrading to a large tank real soon, i would not advise you to put all these large fish in a tank that small. I really wouldnt even of advised on putting the ones you have in there. And even though they are small now, they will not stay that way and you will have problems in the long run.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts