Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I just recently got into this hobby! I've set up a 20 gallon community tank, and not to jinx it, but have had no issues with 5 female guppies, 2 male guppies, and 2 dwarf gourami. After some investigation, I've decided 5 females are pregnant (shocker right?) and two are going to give birth within the next week. I'm strongly interested in getting a Cichlid tank set up (40-50 gallons most likely) to get some entertainment out of all the new fry.:twisted: Is a cichlid tank a good idea for someone with minimal experience? (Though I have little experience, I am not someone to just jump head first into something without gaining as much knowledge as possible.) I understand the importance of water changes ( 10% changes twice a week) in my current tank and I test my water every two days as well. Is this a good beginning for a successful cichlid tank?

·
Registered
7 Posts
'cichlid' is a rather broad terminology..lol

south american dwarf cichlids I would not suggest for someone with little experience..
geophagus can be toughies sometimes too but some of the other larger south american ( i mean not dwarf - i do NOT mean the monsters) would be more than doable..
Central americans can be aggressive and large but things like Thorichthys would be more than doable.

West africans, pelvicachromis, can be pretty easy to deal with.. African rift lake cichlids can be easy to deal with keeping your tank size in mind and stocking in mind and watching your water chemistry.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
'cichlid' is a rather broad terminology..lol

south american dwarf cichlids I would not suggest for someone with little experience..
geophagus can be toughies sometimes too but some of the other larger south american ( i mean not dwarf - i do NOT mean the monsters) would be more than doable..
Central americans can be aggressive and large but things like Thorichthys would be more than doable.

West africans, pelvicachromis, can be pretty easy to deal with.. African rift lake cichlids can be easy to deal with keeping your tank size in mind and stocking in mind and watching your water chemistry.
Thanks for the input! I haven't even began my extensive research into them before I invest in fish, though I was at my lps and saw a worker feeding the cichlids some feeder guppies. Instantly mesmerized!

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
If you want to see some action with guppy fry I would suggest angels, the very hardy - once acclimatised - and love to eat babies! Another fish that doesn't mind the baby wigglers are columbian tetras, I seen my tetra hunt a few babies down from time to time.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts