Tropical Fish Keeping banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi guys, I posted this in the betta forum but thought I might have better luck in the general one.
Plant Water Light Pet supply Organism

so I bought a female elephant ear betta 2 days ago. She’s in my 20 gallon community tank with some tetras and Cory cats. There has been no aggression what so ever. But she just keeps surfing the glass in the front of the tank. I really don’t know what to do. She’s not swimming erratically or flairing just surfing. All the research online points to a few things but I’ve done them all. Bumped up temp to 78 from 76, dimmed lights, there’s no over crowding in my tank and it’s spotless with weekly 20% water changes so it’s not the water conditions. I just really don’t know what else to try. I ordered some glass film which will be here tomorrow but for now I have paper covering the sides and back but still no change. Idk maybe she’s she’s just overwhelmed since she has all this room now instead of a cup. It’s only been a couple days so maybe she’ll settle down. Any thoughts from you guys would be much appreciated
Thanks

UPDATE:
So it’s been a week now and she’s beginning to venture around the tank a little bit more and explore. She still seems to prefer being near the glass and not open water so much but it seems like a step in the right direction. I really think their little brains get demented from being in those cups for so long. I really wish they’d stop shipping them like that. Anyways thing are looking positive

· Registered
50 gal w/ Spoiled Guppies , Mollies and 3 Bettas in private tanks
147 Posts
She should settle down once she gets comfortable in the new environment. All 3 of our bettas did this when we brought them home & put them in their new tanks , and when we add / remove decor / plants they glass surf for a wee bit. They also glass surf when we walk up to the tanks , like they're trying to get our attention.

· Registered
1 Posts
Well ..i had a betta male a few months ago and he was glass surfing for months...
As i bought him he was white and pink with a light blue contrast....
And after he changed his color to a dark torcoise marine blue with a lighting green and a dull red....and reached a mature size ...he just stopped glass surfing ... so i guess that if the watercondition and the tankmates are good ..there must be nothing to worry...

She is maybe just in a color/size changing phase...and that might stress her out a bit...

Or she is just exidet of the outside of the tank...
And as you sed she will start exploring the tank more overtime...😊😊

Just make sure she eats properly and has good quality water and proper tankmates...

Maybe you shold try adding some more plants to your tank...that should do it😊😀

1 - 5 of 5 Posts