Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys i have a 85l tank i had 5 platties during cycle my cycle completed i added 2 guppies they have all been living happily for several weeks now, so decided to go and pick my angels i really wanted i put 2 what look like 2" angels in they where fine swimming peacefully yesterday i done my water change this moarning and spent the day watching the fish as it relaxes me until i noticed 1 of the angel fish chasing the other into behind one of the plants, everytime he came back out he is chasing him back in its like he dosnt want it there at all i feel really mean on the poor angel who is getting bullied please can anyone help why is it doing this

·
Registered
3,372 Posts
This is very common with angels. When only two angels are together very often one will get bullied by the dominant one unless they are a pair. It's best with angels to start out with a group of about 6 young angels, a pair may eventually form and the rest of the angels would need to be rehomed unless they are kept in a very large tank. Unfortunately your tank at 85 litres (approx 20 gallons) is too small. You may be able to get by with one angel but with two, almost always one gets bullied by the other. I have 5 angels but they are in a 135 gallon tank so there is enough room to reduce aggession.

Reactions: SeaHorse

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank u for your reply and yes my tank is deffo not big enough for six, i really love them both and will be upset to have to rehome one, do you think the dominant one will kill the other fish or just wants to show him who is boss, as he seems to be chasing him from a cretain part of the tank the front right to the bottom left once he has chased him to the bottom left he swims back to top right and leaves him until he comes out and enteres his area again

·
Registered
3,372 Posts
He is establishing his territory , basically the whole tank. Since they are new to the tank they may work it out. But, unfortunately, most of the time the bullied one will get so stressed it will die. I've experienced this before. Keep a close eye but you may have to either return one to the lfs or get a bigger tank.

Reactions: SeaHorse

·
Banned
22 Posts
I have to agree with jeaninel here, for those without a conversion chart handy 85L equals 22.4546 gals. which is too small really for even 1 angel when fully grown. IMHO

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I read that the require ammount is 40l per angel so i putchased 2 as i have 85l the guy at the aquatics said i have wnough space for 2

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Got this info online!

Comment
Angelfish are in my opinion one of the grandest fish in the hobby. These semingly docile fish should not be trusted with small fish as they have a true cichlid appetite. These fish become 15 cm or more so a minimum of 35-40 liters per angelfish is required with a tank depth of atleast 40 cm. These fish aren't the brightest colored fish in the hobby, but make up for it in their stunning shape and finage. They are quite easily bred, and reared moderately easily. They will have an occasional fight, typical of cichlids. This is more evident if the tank is over stocked. A minimum tank size for a pair of these magnicicent fish is 75 liters. Better off kept in a species tank, as its fins are particularly tempting to more nippier species. If the discus is KING of the aquarium fish, the angelfish is definately the QUEEN.

·
Banned
22 Posts
The Guy at the fish store wants to sell angelfish, and has most likely never even owned an aquarium. New hobbyist hear what they want to hear, usually at the expense of the dead fishes.

Sadly, i must disagree. Sorry

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I will not listen to any at the fish store again but at the minute the angels are babies there only the size of a 50p coin so at the min they have plenty of room once they grow abit i may have to rehome one or upgrade to larger tank, but my post is fpr help about them bikkering not the size of my tank

·
Registered
10 Posts
jeaninel for your help i moved some of my plants around andbit seemed to have worked they are getting along lovely now, ive been looking into a 200L tank as i would like to keep these angel fish and also maybe some discus, so maybe i will buy one at end of week and cycle wile the smaller one is still running, thanks once again for your help

·
Registered
3,372 Posts
jeaninel for your help i moved some of my plants around andbit seemed to have worked they are getting along lovely now, ive been looking into a 200L tank as i would like to keep these angel fish and also maybe some discus, so maybe i will buy one at end of week and cycle wile the smaller one is still running, thanks once again for your help
I'm glad to hear that you are planning to upgrade as they really do need a larger tank for their permanent home. You could use your smaller tank as a quarantine/hospital tank. Good luck with them and post some pics!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank u hun for your help and yes will keep smaller tanks spare, i dont know how to out pics on i cant find image upload bit x

·
Registered
3 Posts
When keeping angel fish you should have only 1 male or female, if you are thinking of keeping 2 they must be male and female because if they are the same gender they will reach sexual maturity and fight because they wil be rivals for breeding. Also don’t keep angel fish with platys and guppies because the angel fish will eat them. Good tank mates for angle fish are; gouramis, rainbow shark, bottom dwellers e.g. plecos, Cory catfish, snails, and many others.

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
Also don’t keep angel fish with platys and guppies because the angel fish will eat them. Good tank mates for angle fish are; gouramis, rainbow shark, bottom dwellers e.g. plecos, Cory catfish, snails, and many others.
Found kind of the opposite. Guppies and platies do fine with angels, they too big to be eaten.

Gouramis and rainbow sharks can be belligerent, so only in larger tanks may this be feasible... even then, why chance it when there are better fish out there?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

1 - 14 of 14 Posts