Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This morning I received my new aquarium (shipped from NY to Iowa) and so far no leaks! It was a discounted tank, so there were some imperfections with the stand. I am still waiting on substrate to come in, so I have a week or so before I will drain it, plant it and start my cycle.

I'm posting here because I'm not quite sure yet how I want to stock it. My largest tank before now is 29gallon, so I'm definitely not used to a tank this large.
I'm aiming for a community aquarium with a lot of plants. The problem is, I don't know exactly what I can combine to make it interesting.

Tank Stats (numerous pictures attached)
1x 170 gallon bowfront, 30"deep - glass from AquaVim (yes, curved glass) with center overflow
1x 40 gallon sump/wet-dry filter and pump
1x 48" Finnex Ray 2 - Daylight - I have room for more in case I need more light
3x200watt heaters, safety cutoff provided by Johnson Controls Digital Thermostat (I have had bad luck with heaters)

Fish I'm thinking about:
25x Neon Tetras
10x Corydoras
6x Discus (maybe)
1x Dwarf Gourami (maybe)
Shrimp (maybe)
otocinclus (maybe)

Your suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Attachments

·
Registered
125 Posts
I don't have any good advice, but oh my god... That is a beautiful tank... o.o

Reactions: d0r0g0

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't have any good advice, but oh my god... That is a beautiful tank... o.o
Thanks! The only thing I am certain about adding are the corydoras. I'm still fine tuning the plumbing, been to Home Depot and Menards 5 times already switching things up.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Update

I thought I'd post an update. I'm still looking for input on fish stocking :)

Since last time, I've worked out plumbing, added substrate, a few corys and some black neons. Today I got the plants in.

Attachments

·
Registered
211 Posts
So its been 14 days since you got the tank setup right ? Judging by the post... I highly doubt a tank that size cycled already... Why would you get fish already may I ask ? I

Also a suggestion.. get some driftwood.. Right now it looks decent for starters.. but pretty plain. I don't really like big tanks that don't have driftwood in them and I mean like a big center piece.. Plant suggestions.. I would get a lot of watersprite.. and tie the roots to suction cups and stick them against the back walls of the tank... I do that and it looks really cool see my pic. I would aos get 2-3 bunches of like 6 stems of some green combomba and bunch them up in that right corner where the red plants are.. Then I would get a red Tiger lotus.. a big one like the one in my picture and plant it between your green plants in the front on the left picture and move that tall one over to the right a little. The driftwood I would get a leggy one

like in this link

http://blog.greenleafaquariums.com/2010/12/07/aquascaping-driftwood-from-green-leaf-aquariums/

As for fish... Well 25 neons will look good.. but I would probly get more, my 27g hexagon has 10 neons and 5 glow light and 4 black neon tetra's... For a 170g tank I would get like 35 neon tetra's make a GIANT school..

I would get like 4 Bosamani rainbows, and some Turquise rainbows, and probably 4-6 Electric blue rams, and 2-3 angle fish and yea people say angles and sicus don't mix.. I beg to differ I have 3 angles in my 55g with 2 of my discus right now they could careless about eachother.. Then I would get like 5 discus.. If you want Gourami, don't get just 1 dwarf... do you know how small that thing will be in a huge 170g tank ? Get a Yellow or Blue normal sized Gourami.. I would get 1 of each.. Do you know amazing electric blue rams look with discus ? I have 3 in my tank with my 3 discus and.. wow, put a pink colormax T5 light in there and it really makes the colors pop out .I also am rather fond of Gold barbs.. They get pretty big and they LOVE to play and despite being called barbs they aren't agrressive

Here is a picture of 1 of my rams together with 2 of my discus and 2 gold barbs... one kinda looks like hes saying WTF lol

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Nice tank!

You're certainly not wrong about the cycle. Initially I had about 10lbs of gravel placed in my sump from my other tank, and ammonia was testing at 0 (using Ammonia from HyVee), but I was initially only testing ammonia. My current results indicate only a partial cycle. (0 Ammonia, 2 Nitrite and 20 nitrates). I've been slowly removing gravel from the sump, but after seeing the recent results, I'll leave it in there. Will do another water change tonight, but I'm sure it'll probably be a few more weeks of this.

I'm sure the plants are helping some, but I won't be adding any more fish until the tank is ready.

I have always read that neons and Angels don't mix, but it's nice to know they can still be an option. I really do like how the discuss and rams look in your tank. I'll stop by my LFS to check out what they have. Definitely not going to bring my wallet in though...

Have you any experience with Green Leaf Aquariums?

·
Registered
211 Posts
with the tank being so large and so few fish so far it will take a long time for the ammonia to start building up.. Your tank is going to take forever to cycle

I would toss half a bottle of fish food in there or something.. But that's just me lol that's how I get the ammonia to start forming in my new tanks.. My 44G pentagon took a week before it started showing ammonia higher then .25ppm.. I tossed like a handful of fish flakes in there and now its at about 4-8ppm.

What do you mean green leafed aquariums ? You mean with no color plants ? Yea I used to have all green plants before I got my red and purple plants

·
Registered
211 Posts
that link doesn't work.

And no I have never bought driftwood online. I bought a few at a local fish store once. but they are so expensive for good pieces... like 40-50-60$

I just got my 44g pentagon like 1-2 weeks ago and I live by a reservoir like 200 feet down the hill.. we have a U shaped part in the reservoir and all kind of wood drifts in there... I actually found my own driftwood which im going to do from now on... Its a big tree stump with roots.. I washed it first.. then boiled it for 2 hours to kill the nasties.. It is extremely buoyant though and it took 3 big chunks of slate to sink it.. However its in been in the tank for 2 days now and I was going to take it out to drill holes in the slate and screw it to the bottom because right now the slate was sitting on the trunk as a temp solution... However at my amazement when I took off the first piece of slate it didn't float.. then took off the second and it didn't float either... So I guess its becoming water logged.. So I guess I wont need to screw the slate in after all lol.

Here is a pic I took a few days ago.. yea its cloudy but its cycling. In a way though I love the driftwood I found.. but I noticed its kinda bulky and blocks the view of the back... I thought about getting a cutting blade for drilling holes in wood and drilling a hole or 2 through the trunk and then chopping it up a bit to look natural and make caves through it.. I dunno though what do you think ? Too much ?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I actually really like it. Once the slate on top is removed and the water clears, I'm sure it wouldn't obstruct too much from what you'll have going on in the back. I like the idea of fish being able to hide away in the back to feel more secure anyway.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Do you like it with the slate you mean or do you mean the wood as a whole as it is now.

I have another piece just like this one I found.. If youre interested lol ? Its a bit smaller though

1 - 12 of 12 Posts