Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I’ve been looking at fish for a few days. First, I’m trying to decide what kind of “mini aquarium mates” I want before diving into intense research about the specific fish.
My idea’s have been:
Betta + snail
Guppies + snail
Guppies + snail + African dwarf frog

What’s the best as a beginner? I’m willing to do any work and research, I just thought I’d ask people who have more experience. Note, I only have space for, at the most, a ten gallon tank. I believe all the fishes I’ve chose can thrive in a 5-10. Any answers will be appreciated, I just want to give my fishies the best life possible :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi, I’ve been looking at fish for a few days. First, I’m trying to decide what kind of “mini aquarium mates” I want before diving into intense research about the specific fish.
My idea’s have been:
Betta + snail
Guppies + snail
Guppies + snail + African dwarf frog

What’s the best as a beginner? I’m willing to do any work and research, I just thought I’d ask people who have more experience. Note, I only have space for, at the most, a ten gallon tank. I believe all the fishes I’ve chose can thrive in a 5-10. Any answers will be appreciated, I just want to give my fishies the best life possible :)
I have a male platinum betta and a mystery snail in a 2 gallon. At the beginning the betta tried to nip on the snail's eyes and long antennas (I scolded him a couple of times lol) but now they are peaceful together. The betta even sleeps under him sometimes (when the snail is against the glass) and is never aggressive towards the snail. It all depends on the betta of course, but I love the pairing.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi there,

I agree with Syderena. We have a 10 gallon with one betta, two neon tetras, two green cory catfish, two mystery snails, and a few nerite snails. Bettas are beautiful and fun and in my experience (I've had a few over the years) never bugged the snails. You can pair them with smaller fish who are not at all glitzy or draw the eye. My betta only notices the tetras once a month or so and then gives them a half hearted chase for 2-10 seconds before losing them and forgetting. I dont think he even sees the green cories since they're so low profile. I've had very similar success with my previous bettas as well. I definitely would not put this many fish in a two gal. I think a betta and 2 or so snails are plenty in a tank that size, but if you upgrade to a ten gallon then you can also add in the extra friends like the tetras. I dont have any experience with guppies and cant speak to them. Good luck!

·
Registered
11 Posts
2 gallon is too small for anything to live in. 10 minimum for a beta. a heater, water needs to be 80 degrees, and a sponge filter. if you add a hob filter your poor beta will get tired out and may succumb to exhaustion. Anything smaller and you might have a jumper on your hands. They jump when they are searching for a new home.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts