Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi my name is jay. i recently decided to get into fish. i got a tank, got the substrate, put in real plants, and then added water. i let it cycle for a full week before i added the fish. i went to petsupermarket, and asked the guy there what i should start off with for my 15 gallon tank. i got three nice medium sized fish, and 2 smaller silver fish. added 5 ghost shrimp, got two new "plant" bulbs and fish food,(flakes, and frozen bloodworms) and came home. put the bags into the tank let them acclimate. then added the inhabitants to their new home. that was last night friday the 11th. now its saturday the 12th and the fish are acting odd. please see video....

fishy - YouTube

did i do something wrong? i followed the guidance of the employees at petsmart, and from some online readings i did. also anyone know what kind of fish they are? they employee wrote down hardy tropical fish. i think they're barbs.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Unfortunately, your tank isn't cycled if it was just running for a week. Please look up the ammonia cycle. More than likely you have high ammonia levels right now. Do you have a test kit? If so can you test your water parameters?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Yeah, your tank isn't cycled. At this point you have 2 options; 1 is to return the fish, then start learning the Nitrogen Cycle (this forum is a great resource for information) theres plenty of articles explaining this and plenty of members happy to help walk you through it. Option 2, if you cannot return the fish, you need to detoxify the ammonia and nitrites building up quickly!!! I reccomend Kordon's AmQuel Plus Ammonia Detoxifier, or Seachem Prime (I believe) and get a test kit, API Freshwater Master Test Kit is about the best, for the money (around 25.00 or so) It lasts a really long time, well worth it. Or at the very least see if your LFS will do a water test if you bring in a sample, most stores do. I'm sure other members will ring in soon W/more detailed info, My reccomendations are only what needs to be done IMMEDIATELY!!! Either way that employee should'nt have sold you that much livestock to introduce so soon to a 15 gal. tank, way too much, way too soon!!! Just dont get discouraged, this happens to the best of us in the beginning, you'll get through it.. best of luck to you....

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thank very much scott! pet supermarket doesent allow returns of fish. the fish in my tank now seem active and inquisitive again. i guess external noise makes them feel more interested. anyways im going to go down to the store tomorrow morning, and pick up the Kordon's AmQuel Plus Ammonia Detoxifier that you recommended. hopefully ill be able to save my fish from misinformation.

·
Registered
50 Posts
You're very welcome, Also remember knowing your water parameters is of immediate importance!! Do you know anyone with aquariums, if so, ask if they have a dirty filter pad or maybe a couple handfuls of gravel to put in your tank, it will be loaded W/the nitrifying bacteria you need to jump-start your cycle, or even call other pet stores asking for "seed material" IMO, that is the best course of action at the moment. Thats too bad you got stuck W/the fish. If none of that pans out, I would reccomend Tetra SafeStart (bottled bacteria) Have used it several times and has worked like a charm for me at jump-starting the Nitrogen Cycle!!! Either way, Start reading up on the Nitrogen Cycle, Test water every 2 days and keep adding the detoxifier every 24 Hrs. (follow the dosing directions carefully) until your ammonia and nitrites are at 0, as they will both spike quite high at first, your tank will turn cloudy (like a glass of milk was dumped into it) thats the bacteria beginning to bloom (can last days or several weeks) Aquarium rule #1; Nothing good happens fast, the only things that happens fast are the bad. So patience is key. Anyway, when ammonia/nitrite return to 0. your tank has cycled!! So keep reading, keep testing and keep detoxifying, and dont be afraid to ask for help, thats what this forum is all about. The info I've given is just the "basic jist" so to speak, Your particular circumstance (being stuck W/fish already) Kinda changes thing a little. I also recommend the article at the very top of this forum (Beginner Freshwater Aquarium) you posted on, titled the Nitrogen Cycle(or something to that effect) There is alot more than I've explained, Just trying not to overwhelm you right now...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts