Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently got a 75 gallon. Got the tank, oak stand, light strip, gravel, filter (emperor 400), heater (ebojaber 200W) all for 100 bucks. Pretty good deal in my opinion. There's a crazy story behind this tank, when I brought it home it still had the gravel in it and I discovered there was a REALLY small pleco laying on the gravel. I rescued the pleco and it's doing fine in my other tank, it survived nearly 2 hours out of water! Amazing fish.

I know the tank looks rather boring, just set it up a couple days ago. I'll be adding more plants/wood soon and of course fish. I'm thinking of moving my 3 goldies and 2 plecos into this from my 30G so they have more room. Still thinking about what other kinds of fish, if any, I will be adding...maybe a skoal of minnows, Corydora Catfish, or maybe even some Zebra Danios.

I'll have more pics of the tank once I move my fish in there and do a little aquascaping.

Let me know what you think so far.

·
Registered
620 Posts
I like the tank. Glad that you got some natural gravel in there! Poor little pleco! Thats a tuff lil guy if you ask me....do you know what kind it is? A nice centre piece of wood and plants would be a nice start...There are many option with fish so just feel free to ask. How are you planning on cycling the tank....? Just wondering.

cant wait to see the steps in the making..

nick

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Pretty sure they're both common plecos...when I get some pics of them up, maybe you guys can identify them.

When I got the tank, it was already in use and the guy threw in all the gravel and the filter with media so I figured that would aid in the cycling process. In addition, just put in some Bio-spira to get the tank cycling quickly. So within the next few days I'll keep an eye on the parameters and then add some fish.

I have some driftwood from my 30 gallon that I'll move into this, and a few plants too.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
JouteiMike said:
Recently got a 75 gallon. Got the tank, oak stand, light strip, gravel, filter (emperor 400), heater (ebojaber 200W) all for 100 bucks. Pretty good deal in my opinion. There's a crazy story behind this tank, when I brought it home it still had the gravel in it and I discovered there was a REALLY small pleco laying on the gravel. I rescued the pleco and it's doing fine in my other tank, it survived nearly 2 hours out of water! Amazing fish.

I know the tank looks rather boring, just set it up a couple days ago. I'll be adding more plants/wood soon and of course fish. I'm thinking of moving my 3 goldies and 2 plecos into this from my 30G so they have more room. Still thinking about what other kinds of fish, if any, I will be adding...maybe a skoal of minnows, Corydora Catfish, or maybe even some Zebra Danios.

I'll have more pics of the tank once I move my fish in there and do a little aquascaping.

Let me know what you think so far.

great deal i got my 55 with rocks and grvel for 125 so u realy maid out

·
Registered
620 Posts
Hmmm you said you used a cycling chemical. i wouldnt of recommended that! Those do help cycle the tank but once it wear's off so does the beneficial bacteria and than you are at stage 1 again with the bacteria. I would have just kept the tank running with the gravel and the filter media that would have done the trick. since your not going the fishless way I would buy a couple zebra danios ( they are hardy fish ) and that will help with the cycling process also. Those are just some thoughs :D

Nick

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Nick said:
Hmmm you said you used a cycling chemical. i wouldnt of recommended that! Those do help cycle the tank but once it wear's off so does the beneficial bacteria and than you are at stage 1 again with the bacteria. I would have just kept the tank running with the gravel and the filter media that would have done the trick. since your not going the fishless way I would buy a couple zebra danios ( they are hardy fish ) and that will help with the cycling process also. Those are just some thoughs :D

Nick
Well I figured that would help with the cycling process, the bacteria from the bio-spira wears off? Or maybe you were talking about the Algone? Well even if it does wear off, don't you think the other bacteria colonies from the previous gravel and filter media will still be thriving? Also, I have some Biomax media from Fluval in my filter.

·
Registered
620 Posts
I dont know if I stated it but You should be fine because you have the good media from an established tank in there. there was really no need for the chemicals :p

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah...I probably shouldn't have bothered with the biospira...guess I've always wanted to try it out, in case the gravel and filter colonies died off when I brought the tank home and finally put water in. I don't know how long the bacteria can live for without water.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Added a few things to the tank, but unable to upload any pics, maybe it's just my computer, hopefully I'll be able to add them soon so I can get some feedback from you guys.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Finally able to upload some pics of the tank.

Here's a pic during a water change, added some rocks, a little wood, and some plants. The water is a little bubbly.

Here's a pic of my bigger Pleco, I think it's a common.

Here's the smaller one that was left in the tank, best pic I could get for now. Can you tell what type it is?

Still have a few more plans for the tank, would like to get more plants in there, and maybe more driftwood as well. More pics of the fish to come.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Looks like a common plec to me (but I'm no expert). The aquarium is gorgeous and will be very amazing once you are finished with it. A background would look nice, and I love what you have done with the rocks so far. Before you add your goldfish to it you might want to consider what other fish you may want to keep. Goldfish are cold water fish and the rest of the tropicals will require heat. Don't let the goldfish get too comfy in the new tank if you are planning to get other fish such as cichlids or angels, etc, otherwise you will be limited as to what you can keep.

RE: cycling with danios as someone suggested, yes they are hardy fish but I work in a pet store selling fish and I hear from many customers that after the tank is cycled they don't care for their danios much, as they will greedily eat all of the food and can be fin nippers.

Have fun decorating and stocking your new tank, that is the fun part!

·
Registered
13,248 Posts
'Tis a common plec.:)
Tracy said:
RE: cycling with danios as someone suggested, yes they are hardy fish but I work in a pet store selling fish and I hear from many customers that after the tank is cycled they don't care for their danios much, as they will greedily eat all of the food and can be fin nippers.
Which is why it is common to see people replacing danios with the fish they like.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'm pretty sure that's where my Goldfish are staying. I'm only stocking that tank with Fish that do well in cold water. My only slight concern is with the Plecos. I've read many different temperature preferences for them, some saying they do well as low as 66-68ºF, not quite sure how accurate that is. My tank is around 69 or 70ºF right now.

I do have plans to add more fish to the tank, but only ones that have similar preferences as Goldfish; like a few Corys, or some White Cloud Minnows.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Looking good mate, nice deal with the tank as well a real bargain by the sounds of things!

If you are looking for a pleco that will do well in slightly colder temperatures i would suggest looking at the Chaetostoma sp. of plecos, they are used to slightly cooler temperatures around 68-73 but will need a strong current and well oxygenated water to be happy. They are sold under the common name of Bulldog or Rubbernose pleco, happy hunting!!

the pleco second from the right in my sig is one of those if that helps!

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks for the info xingu.

I think my next addition to my tank will be maybe 2 or 3 Weather Loaches. Been reading up on these guys and they seem real neat, and also prefer cold water.

And for the longest time I've been wanting to get a school of White Clouds, just a little nervous about keeping them with my growing goldies; wouldn't want them to be dinner for them! :shock:

·
Registered
415 Posts
JouteiMike said:
Thanks for the info xingu
No problemo dude, i forgot these but also commonly available is the Chinese hillstream loach or butterfly plec as its sometimes called here is a pic, these guys have the added advantage of being like a budgie..... CHEEP! :lol: hth

Photo © Animal-World: Courtesy Ken Childs

1 - 20 of 29 Posts