Tropical Fish Keeping banner

61 - 72 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Personally from my experience 1 pair in a 55g is enough.... 2 pairs they would tear eachother apart when they breed...

When my angles breed.. they lay their eggs on the glass on the right side of the tank and that half of my tank is empty... None of my fish go over there and if they do.. the angles turn sideways and chase them and knip at them..

I have my 55g stocked like this

2x Angle, 1 Marble Koi, and 1 white koi..
6x long fin serpae tetra
2x Large gourami ( 1 blue and 1 gold)
1x black fin shark
2x Bosamani rainbow
1x Turqoiuse rainbow
2x Long fined german blue ram
1x Bolivian ram
2x Gold barb

Here is a pic of my 55g

·
Registered
690 Posts
Angel pairs are strange that way, some will take up one foot at the end of a 55, others think the whole world is theirs to defend. Typical cichlids, always keep a divider or spare tank handy! It all depends on the individual fish, I use 55's for pairing due to the nice 4' length. Most often it's a 1/3 to 1/2 of the tank territory thing, though I've had pairs form that chase everyone to the far end of the tank & keep them there. I keep pairs in 29's once I decide that I want to work with them, often I have to slide cardboard between the tanks, they spar tank to tank & risk knocking themselves stupid.

Keeping pairs is another fun thing, once they pair it doesn't mean they'll live happily ever after. Often they will, but I've had pairs go off for whatever reason & start tearing each other up, pairs that only get along while actively spawning, and pairs that like to play just a little rough but are otherwise fine.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Mine attacked eachother once. It was the female attacking the male they went mouth to mouth and the male lost.. ive read they do that because they loose too many babies.. because none of my babies wver make it past little fry.. they just disapear once they learn to swim off. My guess is other fish eat them.. But yea i read the pair fight eachother if that happena and the female tries to look for a better male.. but if there is none they settle back for eachother

·
Registered
690 Posts
One of my first pairs used to play rough every morning. Turn on the lights, it's lip locking & sparring. Toss in some food & it's a happy life. Guess they weren't morning fish. I've found blacks are usually more aggressive that way, I had a young pair that hardly got along with each other, much less anything else. They got sold at an auction, male was labels as a wife beater, he was obnoxious. Beautiful looking fish, but temperament should always be a goal in breeding, so that pair got moved on.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Great thread! I am currently in the process of setting up a 55 gallon as my 3rd tank. I'm undecided as to whether to make it a cichlid tank or a community tank, your thread has me leaning to community! :-D

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
Great thread! I am currently in the process of setting up a 55 gallon as my 3rd tank. I'm undecided as to whether to make it a cichlid tank or a community tank, your thread has me leaning to community! :-D
How about a cichlid community??? Featuring beautiful SA cichlid! :lol:

61 - 72 of 72 Posts