Tropical Fish Keeping banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
New fish keeper here and I just cycled a 55gal and threw 3x platies in to start. I requested that 2 of them be females but think I got all males. Weird thing is they all hang out, some chasing but no harm done and the chased one goes right back to the others. They look happy as hell in that size tank but I'll be adding more to the community of course. I might start a fish-list in another thread, unless fine here. I added a few plants since this pic and still need to paint the light shades black...it's been raining non-stop here. Thanks for any help in advance!
Light Wood Rectangle Wood stain Display case

Water Underwater Fin Fluid Koi
Art Toy Space Recreation Asphalt

Registered
Hi all,
New fish keeper here and I just cycled a 55gal and threw 3x platies in to start. I requested that 2 of them be females but think I got all males. Weird thing is they all hang out, some chasing but no harm done and the chased one goes right back to the others. They look happy as hell in that size tank but I'll be adding more to the community of course. I might start a fish-list in another thread, unless fine here. I added a few plants since this pic and still need to paint the light shades black...it's been raining non-stop here. Thanks for any help in advance!
View attachment 845074

View attachment 845075 View attachment 845076
Hi Eric it's nice to meet you. Looks like you're starting out on the right foot so far. If you have any questions ask away. My first "real" tank was a 55 so this thread caught my eye. 馃檹

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Good to meet you dart. Yeah the rainbow also has a pointy anal fin. Since I've seen no fin damage and there's no hiding going on, I think they're okay together. I don't plan on anymore platies, otherwise I'd have to return some of these guys or get like 6 females to get the ratio right. They're just testing the tank's cycle, but are some cool little fish that I'll make fit in with the rest.

Registered
10g: 8 young golden Dalmatian mollies 1 neon tetra 2 nerite snails 10g: 2 nerites, soon molies fr t1
Platys are great fish, but they do breed like flies. Cory catfish could be a good option.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Didn't intend to ignore you death, I JUST got email of your reply. These guys won't be making any young 'uns, as long as I resist the temptation to get more of them. Julli corys are on the wish list, but may not be the hardiest to add to a newly cycled tank. Possibly some bolivian rams next.

Registered
10g: 8 young golden Dalmatian mollies 1 neon tetra 2 nerite snails 10g: 2 nerites, soon molies fr t1
It's all good. Glad to see you're doing well.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts