Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I got 136 nerite snails in response to being overrun with hair algae. According to the web site "...they will change your life'. This was the lowest amount recomended (135 gal tank) I pulled as much of the algae I could of the plants and boiled /scrubbed the rest. The snails went to work and in about a week I was ready to claim they had indeed changed my life! Now, with this resrugence of the a hair algae, they are not eating it. Does anyone know why? They seem to have dissapeared too, I only count about 60. Do they go under the gravel? Even discounting the ones that have died, I don't know where the rest are. Also do they shut down for a time? Some have spent long times in being what looks like a dormant state. Do they really not eat the plants? My water wisteria is looking well chewed. There are some common snails in there that came with the plants. Hard to get rid of. When I get them I squash them for the female guppy. It is her favorite food. Funny how just a little fish wiill have it's druthers. Thanks for listening and for the help. Linda

·
Registered
19 Posts
That's a lot of snails, holy moly.
I love my nerite, well, plural since i got another one yesterday.
I dont think they eat hair algae, but my new guy is devouring the hard new growth of hair algae on the glass. I don't expect him to touch the longer stuff.
My other snail (I've had him a few months) will stop moving for maybe two days, then get right back to work.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts