Tropical Fish Keeping banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone, I have a quick question. My LFS said that Red eye tetras and serpae tetras actually WOULDNT go good with my neons. Is this true?

thanks in advance :)

·
Registered
13,248 Posts
Only if the tank size is lesser than 30 gallons and haing inadequate number of plants and other hiding places. I have to bear hearing a sad report of my frined's customer who lost all his cardinals to serpae tetras in his 20 gallons.:sob: I had to explain that the serpaes are quite vicious fin nippers and a 20 gallons tank is only pushing the cardinals to the danger of being nipped and eventually killed by their belligerence.

I would prefer to keep the red-eye and serpae tetras in a 40 gallons along with other tetras if you wish as long as you provide several plants for the other tetras to escape the belligerence of the serpaes and red-eyes although I find the serpaes to be the ones far more vicious than the red-eyes.

·
Registered
13,248 Posts
Follow It Home said:
are there some types of tetras or any other fish for that matter that will work with my Neons and Dwarf Gouramis?
Cardinal tetras, rummy-nose tetras, red phantom tetras, black phantom tetras, bleeding heart tetras, rosy tetras, lemon tetras, glowlight tetras, beacon tetras and diamond tetras are a few that popped in my mind.:)

Note that some tetras mentioned are very sensitive to water quality particularly the rummy-nose tetras but if the conditions are right for them, you'll be surprised at how long they can live.

·
Registered
13,248 Posts
GalaxyGirl said:
I dont know if a black phantom is the same as a black neon, but those would go well. Black neons I mean.
They're entirely different. Both species are very peaceful.:love: I forgot to add the Von Rio/flame tetras.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have a zebra danio (just one, the others didn't make it through cycling :S) in with 6 neons and 3 black tetras. The danio will not leave the others alone. Is this because he's alone?

I'm debating on simply removing him and taking him to an LFS. I don't want to overstock my 10g. I've heard that tetras don't necessarily follow the 1"fish per gallon of water rule, but have never kept them.

Am I better off removing him or adding a couple buddies?

·
Registered
13,248 Posts
Donut said:
I have a zebra danio (just one, the others didn't make it through cycling :S) in with 6 neons and 3 black tetras. The danio will not leave the others alone. Is this because he's alone?
That's possible.:)
I'm debating on simply removing him and taking him to an LFS. I don't want to overstock my 10g. I've heard that tetras don't necessarily follow the 1"fish per gallon of water rule, but have never kept them.
Depends on what tetras you want. A 10 gallons tank can simply fit 20 neons or 15 cardinal tetras. Tetras really do not add too much to the bioload hence the stocking is far different from most fish.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts