Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello there, in my 50 litter tank (13 gal) I have 7 neon tetras and 3 zebra danios.
So my saga started like this my neons was quite happy in my planted tank I had one that seems to like to hide away from the rest but the others seem quite happy.
Due to me not dosing any CO2 I had lots of black beard algie, so I thought I would do a 5% bleach solution to my plant leaves and 2 bits of drift wood in a bucket I rinsed everything in tap water and socked the wood in clean tap water also I then exchanged 50% of the water (I think this is where I went wrong), all was well for over a week and I started to notice white spots on the neons, so that day I purchased some white spot and parasite medicine, I am on day 3 and my tetras look really good the white spot have gone.
However one of them has a dim red section so I tested my water and got the following
PH7.4
Ammonia 0.25
Nitrite 0.25
Nitrate 5.00
I just done a 7 litter water exchange to be on the safe side.
So before I do anything else stupid I thought I would add here and see what your thoughts are.
I personally think I may have upset the ballence of my tank by changing the water and basically killing all the beneficial bacteria in the wood.

I would love to hear from you so I can correct this.

Many thanks to you.
Steve.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
If I read correctly none of the neons died and the white spots are gone.

Sound to me like you done good.

my .02

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If I read correctly none of the neons died and the white spots are gone.

Sound to me like you done good.

my .02
Thank you, I’m maybe a little to worried about the one of the neons that looks a bit pale on it's red part, non have died yet :smile2: which I’m pleased about I just hope he / she gets better.

I forgot to say the water temperature is 24.5 deg C (76.1F)

·
Registered
134 Posts
Stress and food

are usual suspects in color reduction. I am not a big fan of Tetra products but as an occasional food the color formula keeps my reds... well, red.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts