Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are new to fishkeeping, as I got our first tank for my kids for Christmas. We lost one Dwarf Gourami to Pop Eye within a week of getting it and three Cardinal Tetras over the first week that we had them and now our replacement for the original Dwarf Gourami has a red lesion on its side so we are concerned about it. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in adavnce!

1. Size of tank? 20 gallon Tall

2. Water parameters
a. Ammonia? 0
b. Nitrite? 0
c. Nitrate? 0
d. pH, KH and GH? Our pH is a little high at around 8.0, but that is normal/natural. The fish seem to have I don't have a hardness test kit
e. Test kit? API Freshwater Master Kit

3. Temperature? 78

4. FW (fresh water) or BW (brackish)? FW

5. How long the aquarium has been set up? I got the aquarium for my kids for Christmas and did a fishless cycle for about 4 weeks before adding fish about a month ago.

6. What fish do you have? How many are in your tank? How big are they? How long have you had them? 6 Panda Corydoras about 1-1.25" long, 7 Cardinal Tetras about 1" long, 1 Dwarf Gourami around 2.5" long. They are all pretty young. 5 Amano Shrimp from 1"-1.75" long, 2 Nerite Snails

7. Were the fish placed under quarantine period (minus the first batch from the point wherein the tank is ready to accommodate the inhabitants)? No. All were placed in the tank within about a week of one another.

8. a. Any live plants? Fake plants? Live plants - dwarf sagittaria, cryptocoryne, Java Fern, and Hornwort that was just added yesterday after anacharis didn't take very well
b. Sand, gravel, barebottom? sand and Eco-Complete
c. Rocks, woods, fancy decors? Any hollow decors? A couple of rocks and a piece of driftwood from the LFS

9. a. Filtration? Aqueon Quiet Flow 20
b. Heater? Yes - came with an Aqueon Kit

10. a. Lighting schedule? What lights are used? On 10 hours per day with a timer. They are LEDs that came with the Aqueon kit
b. Any sunlight exposure? How long? No. This is in a basement with no direct sunlight exposure and the only exposure is through window wells

11. a. Water change schedule? Weekly 25%
b. Volume of water changed? 5 gallons
c. Well water, tap water, RO water? Tap Water
d. Water conditioner used? Yes, Aqueon Water Conditioner
e. Frequency of gravel/sand (if any) vacuumed? Weekly

12. Foods? Omega One Freshwater Flakes, Omega One Color Mini Pellets, Omega One Shrimp Pellets fed daily. Hikari Brine Shrimp and Blood Worms are fed once a week and rotated one per weekend
How often are they fed? Twice Daily for the flakes, once daily for the mini pellets and shrimp pellets

13. a. Any abnormal signs/symptoms? There is a red lesion just above and behind its gills on one side and perhaps smaller ones in a line to its mouth that were discovered when I took pictures.
b. Appearance of poop? Haven't seen any recently
c. Appearance of gills? They look fine

14. a. Have you treated your fish ahead of diagnosis? I dosed the tank with API Stress Coat
b. What meds were used?

15. Insert photos of fish in question and full tank shot if necessary.

Read more: https://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/diagnosis-form-read-before-you-post-61135/#ixzz6FTlYNKws

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Update: After doing more research and the fish dying I believe that this may be Dwarf Gourami Disease based on some of the sudden onset symptoms and death.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts