Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m new to tropical fish keeping and I’ve got a new tank about a week ago and set everything up. I’ve added fish two days ago upon recommendation from a local pet shop. However 4 have died already and my water is constantly smelling? I’ve changed the water and it’s starting to happen again... fish are safe now, however the smell won’t go. Please someone help

·
Registered
201 Posts
You need to get a test kit for ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate. Please learn about the nitrogen cycle. Youtube has a ton of easy material on it. Most likely the issue is tank balance. Fish store staff rarely give correct advise unfortunately. Fish keeping can be fun and simple, but it does require research. I would return the fish you have and start over, properly cycling the tank, learn about live plant keeping, and research fish that would be suitable for your tank size and parameters. It'll save a ton of headache! Keep us posted

·
Registered
2 Posts
Sounds like your tank hasnt gone threw the cycle wich is very important other person was right about you tube there very helpful with this unfortunately if you already have fish and can't take back you have to test the water and condition at treat it accordingly

1 - 5 of 5 Posts