Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If this is not the correct forum, please advise which one I should use as this is first post.

My little tank is tooooo happyyyyy. :fish:Overrun with livebearer babies. :fish::fish::fish:

So looking at an in-between size tank. I'm looking at a 28 to 35G hex tank. I'm thinking acrylic right now.

The problem is my plants do best with an undergravel filter and not sure how to put in an UG filter.
It doesn't look like you can buy one and many recommend either canister or hanging. My experience with canisters is that they are way way too noisy. My presently used Eclipse 10 is quiet enought but fails to
deal with flow thru UG filter.

The hex sides are either 18 or 21 inches long and 20 to 24 inches high. The hex is basically 6 of 18x9 triangles.

The best I can come up with is similar to what used before:
1- get sheet of corrugated panel, like fiberglass awning panels
1.1 cut sheet to match
1.2 drill line of holes at top and bottom of ridge about 1 inch apart
1.3 using silicone cement, place sheet on plastic blocks, and cement around edge to eliminate rough edges
1.4 place in 1" diameter 17 to 21 inch long lift tube
1.5 cement in place

Then I just cover with gravel and power dual lifts with powerheads.

Questions:
1-- is there any place that has these UG premade/makeable for hex tanks?
2-- is there any better ideas for constuction

Thank you so much for reading and more importantly offering comments

·
Administrator
5,465 Posts
What about Eggcrate? That white grid, plastic, ceiling tile stuff. I think it is less than $15 a full sheet. You would have some small gaps but it is easy to cut using a heavy file. You just tap your way thru it.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I actually thought about that, but my experience is that this material is very brittle. I'm not sure it would hold up when holes are drilled in it. Forgot to mention, the UG material will be supporting at least 2" of gravel.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts