Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am at a loss here. I have a 75 gallon that I am restocking. I have very soft acid water 6.7 to 6.0. This is my tap water. I am looking for a mid sized center piece fish. Not Angel or Discus Some thing that will get along Ok with tetras.

Tank is being replanted and has drift wood in it that I am thinking of pulling do to the 6.0 acid level. Presently have angelfish 1 lone girl left. Half a dozen each of razbora and neon tetra and corry cats. Also 3 Kribs. Canister filter and lighting is a T5 bulb. Black substrate.

I just can't think of a fish that would work as a midsized ceter area so asking for suggestions. I can't buy local as we do not have anything local since we are out in the boonies. So I will be ordering in. Thanks.

·
Administrator
9,804 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forum :wave:

Are you looking for a singular fish or a group?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Does not matter. I made the mistake of getting some Rainbows and German Rams. Funny thing is the Rasbora are dieing off. I have lost 2 so far. Oh well guess they did not handle transport well.

I know Rainbows are wrong water type for this tank. Funny they seem to be handleing it OK.

·
Administrator
9,804 Posts
That's funny because I was going to recommend Boesmani rainbows. They do well in 6.5 - 8.0 ph range and I've got a school of 7 in my 75 gallon community tank. My ph out of the tap fluctuates between 6.0 and 6.2ish (well water) but buffers to 7+ shortly after a 25% weekly water change. I do have a small chunk of calciferous rock in the tank to help.

Their tank mates are Emperor tetras, Rummynose tetras and corys. My rainbows are about 6 years old now and doing great.

Reactions: cybercat

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, we had a accident here with too much iron added after water change. I have lost many fish now angel being one of them. 2 rainbows 2 kribs another rasbora. Not sure on rams as I still can't see in tank. I have been changing water as much as I dare but it looks like I need to do more. Look like my cories are OK so far strong little suckers. Place I bought them from owner said he bred them. They are babies still but hanging in there. Sterbi(sp) type.

Locking up water additives so that does not happen again. I need to buy new test kits for KH and GH too it seems. So suggestions for a good online store will be needed now. Alot easier than driving 30 miles.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, it looks like I am going to add more Rainbows. I have one Bo's and one Turq left. All 3 rams made it. All the neons made it and Corrie's. Only two Rasbora's and newest Krib. Thanks for the help I had read the Rainbows were hard water and high pH only. That was from the Big book too as well as net source.

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
For online supplies I go through drsfostersmith.com. I've also used bigalsonline.com.

Reactions: cybercat
1 - 7 of 7 Posts