Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, new fish tank owner here!
I purchased a fish tank as a gift for my children, but seem to be having some issues.
The tank i have is 70gal, with artificial plants and wood decor, gravel bottom. I have a 300w heater that keeps the tank at 78F, a air pump with 2 large air stones, and 2 70g filters (cascade type I believe).
In the tank are 4 female balloon mollies, 2 dalmation male mollies, 1 dalmation female mollie, 10 harlequin rasboras, 4 emerald Cory catfish, and 10 tiger barbs.
Is seems like the mollies are being "beat up" by the tiger barbs. I was under the impression that they would be fine in a larger school (hence the reason I bought 10), but it seems like there are 2-3 tiger barbs that are just bullies!
In the even that the tiger barbs kill the mollies, is there a better combination of fish that I could have in the tank to keep it more peaceful?
Thanks for any comments in advance!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello everyone, new fish tank owner here!
I purchased a fish tank as a gift for my children, but seem to be having some issues.
The tank i have is 70gal, with artificial plants and wood decor, gravel bottom. I have a 300w heater that keeps the tank at 78F, a air pump with 2 large air stones, and 2 70g filters (cascade type I believe).
In the tank are 4 female balloon mollies, 2 dalmation male mollies, 1 dalmation female mollie, 10 harlequin rasboras, 4 emerald Cory catfish, and 10 tiger barbs.
Is seems like the mollies are being "beat up" by the tiger barbs. I was under the impression that they would be fine in a larger school (hence the reason I bought 10), but it seems like there are 2-3 tiger barbs that are just bullies!
In the even that the tiger barbs kill the mollies, is there a better combination of fish that I could have in the tank to keep it more peaceful?
Thanks for any comments in advance!
Hi, I've never had a problem with that particular combination of fishes, but I have kept a lot of tiger barbs as they've always been a favourite of mine. In my experience with rogue bully barbs, I've always found that adding more barbs of a similar size or bigger normally sorts them out. They spend so much time dealing with each other and their complex social structure that they leave other fish alone. I have best success with shoals of 15 to 20 and I never have a problem at those numbers. In fact, I've even kept them in with Angel fish with absolutely zero fin nipping. Started as an emergency measure but the angels have never been bothered by the shoal of 20 something tigers.
Anyway there's my tuppence worth. Best of luck with the tank and the new hobby.
Cheers

1 - 2 of 2 Posts