Tropical Fish Keeping banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My step-brother brought home some new coral and i have no clue what they are! They were cut off and need to be planted! PLEASE HELP!!!

·
Registered
300 Posts
Top pic is either some type of xenia (looks like pulsing but hard to tell in that state) or a kenya tree.

Bottom pic is some type of leather.

Curious, where does your brother get coral from and drop it off where you don;t know what it is your getting?

·
Registered
3,667 Posts
Top pic is either some type of xenia (looks like pulsing but hard to tell in that state) or a kenya tree.

Bottom pic is some type of leather.

Curious, where does your brother get coral from and drop it off where you don;t know what it is your getting?
I agree with RSully here. On both the id and the question. It is a sort of peculiar situation that mysterious coral is just getting "dropped" in your tank...

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
HeGotIt from His Boss And PutThemIn
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If the xenia looks like its dying should i take it out? I left it like the picture looks

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
the first pic looks like some very sad anthelia.
The first is definately a pulsating Xenia. Mine grow like crazy. Get it off the floor! Take some gel super glue and attach to a rock. Hopefully it's not too late :-D The other is a leather, perhaps some monti cap.?

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The first is definately a pulsating Xenia. Mine grow like crazy. Get it off the floor! Take some gel super glue and attach to a rock. Hopefully it's not too late :-D The other is a leather, perhaps some monti cap.?
Sadly its too late. The xenia thing died and well rotted. We took it out and it smelt like rotten fish and eggs. Not just fish. The hard coral is turning white aka dying if not dead. I put lugols iodine and some other reef supplement. But here are new ones that I need *identified*

^looks like the xenia from the first post when extended. I just finished taking some opaque (translucent) worm off of it making it lean over and wrapping its "arms"

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Few notes. one is the green one to close to the polyp things? And two the new xenia things is on its own little rock and isnt "stuck" just wedged a bit in a rock

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
You have some toadstool leathers (closed in your picture, looks like a mushroom) and the first picture looks like green button polyps. I'm not good at remembering names of things, so I'd be guessing at the others. I think you have a some zoas in that picture a bit out of focus.

You can also google sites for tons of pictures and match what you have that way.

Good luck. Sorry I'm not more help

Reactions: wake49

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Wake could be right on that. I have a Green tipped Galaxy, but I wasn't sure if that was what it was. They have sweeping tentacles that can reach up to 6 inches, searching for food. Keep them at least that distance from other corals, especially I believe the SPS's. They can do them harm with a mild sting, from what I've been told.

·
454 Posts

^looks like the xenia from the first post when extended. I just finished taking some opaque (translucent) worm off of it making it lean over and wrapping its "arms"

1.zoanthids and frilly mushrooms
2. almost looks like a small piece of goniopora or alveopora, how many tentacles do you count? Is this completely soft or does it have a hard base? If completely soft then they are clove polyps
3. Blastomussa
4.can't tell since it is closed, is it completely soft, or does it have a hard base?
5. toadstool leathers

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
2 I didn't touch it but it has around 20 tentacles on each "flower". bBut If By Tentacles Are The Flowers Around 10 nd for the other one I can put a better picture up but it is completely soft
Posted via Mobile Device

Reactions: wake49

·
454 Posts
Hmm..well alveopora has 12 tentacles, goniopora has 28, both would have a hard base, that they could retract into. Clove polyps are all soft, and just choke up real tight when closed. There is also pipe organ coral, which has a similar polyp, but a high hard base.

·
454 Posts
The blastos are an LPS. The zoanthids, mushrooms, and leathers are soft corals. Depending on what those other two look like fully opened, they are either LPS or soft as well. Get some more pics of the other two when they open, and I can help ID them.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts