Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Key word here is Professional.

I have a 30 gallon tank. 36" long.

I have good circulation I think. Will write some specifics after writting the problem.

The problem are these short hairs that are roughy 5-10 hairs, no longer than 3-4mm and quantity is 5-7 hairs per sq cm

5 Green Bards, one of which has a cloudy eye (both eyes) for almost a month. Treated tank with this API stuff, turned tank yellowish. Tank cleared up. Cloudy eye went away 80%ish. It came back. It has these two hairs by it's mouth on either side. Some fish are puffing up and their fins look like scales (Guppies only) tho, if they are having babies do they do this also? All fish are gasping for air they do wide mouth gasp once every 2 miniutes. (typical Big wide mouth looking like grenade is going off inside of mouth). 3 Clown loaches, hungry and will eat, gasping aswell. Same rate. (one baby like 1 1/2 inch, 1 four inch, 1 three inch) the angel fish doesn't gasp for air and eats like no tomorrow. Watched for 10 or so miniutes straight. The gills seem to work hard, although I seen the angel fish eat clownloach pellets whole and choke and go nuts cuz it's a selffish fish. I have 3 cardinals (growing okish) that somewhat seem as if they are panting like a dog out of breath. I have about 20-30 guppies I try and get ride of (online ad or petstore) but they come back cuz they breed like jerks. It may seem also I am considering getting ride of the guppies all together.

Equipment: fluval 306 with the a large sum of carbon, a sechem purigen thing. a little but of sachem de-nitrate (running say 50-75GPH. Should I run it faster?. Another slow running filter is I customized a slim20 from marina and it is full of de-nitrate. Running 30GPH or less. that has 80% of nearly 2 litres of De-Nitrate. oh and have a aqua20 power head I shoved in the water and it has air tube making bubbles and feeding air in the tank, ummm, the hose is ummm about 10 feet long and it's inlet is close to an open window. the window however has blinds and is covered.

I have live plants 8 plants in total. some not doing so well. Although the stocks of all the plants are about the diameter of a skinny pinky finger. I have bog wood also, a nice good piece. Use a plant food from secham one a week. lower than suggested cuz i'm worried some concentration is going on in the tank making the water "thick" and sucking air out of the water?

I have
Ammonia level, 0

Nitrate level 60 out of 100 say on a scale where obvi 100 is horrible. I know that is high I will change it it will go to about 20PPM and the the next day or 2 days later. it's like in the redzone again.

Nitrite Level = 0

ph around 7.2

water hardness, moderate. I use an R.O filter also when water changing.

What I need to know, is there metals in the water doing stuff to the fish? Or what how do I make this water as pure as it can be? Or what is exactly going on.

I want to have a very beautiful and relaxed tank. Fish are stressing me out huffing and puffing and none of the fish really exactly seem 100% healthy. oh and I"ve had like 4 guppies die in the past 2 week. From of which I think they miscarried and sadly like constipation but giving birth.

Do you think maybe it is just the excessive ammounts of guppies pissing all over the place? Excuse my language. Most of them are fancy tail and are really nice, but now they are loosing colour and maybe too much fish. I am upgrading to 80 or so gallons in a month or so. I have another tank I can put the guppies in. What is your advice?

·
Registered
645 Posts
what api stuff?are you using 100% ro water for your tank or mix with tap water?high nitrate is a problem.when was the last time you cleaned your filter?are you over feeding?little hairs?possible skin/gill flukes.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
what api stuff?are you using 100% ro water for your tank or mix with tap water?high nitrate is a problem.when was the last time you cleaned your filter?are you over feeding?little hairs?possible skin/gill flukes.
API Tetra Cycline Stuff. I am using 100% R.O. Hmmm Flukes. Is what one guppie seemed like it had. Could there be something volatile in the tank to cause that? I do not have a cover for the tank. It's lid is open, with a good LED plant light thing.

I cleaned the filter about 2 weeks ago. (p.s I just changed it today also)

I don't think I over feed as because I am busy with schooling I sometime forget to feed them for one or two days. Which isn't a bad thing? Yes. Little hairs is what I typed. Fish store guy said it's normal. but this stuff is on everything. When I clean the glass. 3 days later, it's on it again fairly well.

·
Registered
645 Posts
is there a reason you are using ro water?are you using anything to remineralize it?straight ro water is bad for fish.there are no electrolytes or minerals in it.the reason i may suspect flukes is the constant yawning.to keep the nitrates down you can go a few ways.nitrasorb,more frequent water changes and through plants.and make sure you are using your nitrate test kit correctly.shake the reagent bottle for a min longer than it says,also check the expiration date.do not want any skewed results.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
is there a reason you are using ro water?are you using anything to remineralize it?straight ro water is bad for fish.there are no electrolytes or minerals in it.the reason i may suspect flukes is the constant yawning.to keep the nitrates down you can go a few ways.nitrasorb,more frequent water changes and through plants.and make sure you are using your nitrate test kit correctly.shake the reagent bottle for a min longer than it says,also check the expiration date.do not want any skewed results.
thought R.O Water was better for the fish. Less mineral particles I thought meant easier breathing and more h2o. They need minerals eh? What kind of minerals? I did think that too much minerals was bad. So I should mix it up a bit? One R.O filter has a .01 rating. the other is .05 or maybe .1 and .5. Dunno'ish.

I sometimes add bottled water ( 3 bottles ) with electrolyte salts, only once in a while. Just recently thought of doing this?

·
Registered
645 Posts
what is wrong with your tap water?prime dechlorinator will take care of any heavy metals.fish need minerals and electrolytes found in tap water.discus keepers and saltwater keepers use ro water and add minerals to it.for the vast majority of fish,treated tap water is preferred.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
what is wrong with your tap water?prime dechlorinator will take care of any heavy metals.fish need minerals and electrolytes found in tap water.discus keepers and saltwater keepers use ro water and add minerals to it.for the vast majority of fish,treated tap water is preferred.
The tap water is very hard. I thought or my understanding reading things about R.O Filters were they bring the hardness down. Hardness is caused by minerals that are in excess is what I thought I read. And when I use tapwater say months ago. The problem of "air gasping" was always there. Is why I switched to r.o. Although, faintly recall positive results a month or so from having tap water in the tank mixed with the r.o. (not like I could individually remove tap water particles vs r.o treated particles.)

I guess I will do 50 % tap 50% r.o from now on? I have nitrate issues still. And the fish with cloudy eye.

·
Registered
645 Posts
cloudy eyes can be from a few things,poor water conditions,parasitic infestation and flukes.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
cloudy eyes can be from a few things,poor water conditions,parasitic infestation and flukes.
what that is what I am also getting at. If I use good products and do water changed 2 times a week. and I have a UV sterilzer. Why is this happening.

Why will nitrates not stay low?

p.s 20 adult guppies or so. Is too many guppies just pissing all over the place?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
how long has this tank been set up for? exactly how many fish are in there now?what kind of test kit are you using?
Well I posted the answers you are asking in my previous posts and it is getting redundant. i just feel thank you. I will further try different things and just account the guppies to someone else, pet store or kijiji. Thanks and have a nice day.

I am using test kits to test the quality of the water for my fish tank is the kind of test kit I am using. :p Specifically one to test fish aquarium water quality. :p

·
Registered
645 Posts
i reread your posts again twice over. you never stated how long the tank was set up for. you also never said what type or brand of test kit you used,ie. api liquid test kit or test strips.and your first post was a little cloudy as to the exact number of fish that are in the tank.i am trying to help you here,but i do require some information. sorry if you think it is getting redundant. you also mentioned that you changed your filter.did you just clean it or did you replace any sponges or filter media with new sponges/media?

·
Registered
690 Posts
"Need Professional Advice.
Key word here is Professional."

A professional is someone who makes all or a substantial part of their living at a specific profession. They get paid for it. Seems you're looking for this for free. While I don't make more at aquatics than my day job, it is to the point that the day job is getting in the way of expanding the aquatics gig. Guess I might be semipro, dunno what you'd call it at this point.

Sandy has many years of experience, and is asking you questions that may lead to an answer. Since you seem to know all about your "test kits", probably having much experience with them, know of their track record, failures due to manufacturing errors, as well as accuracy involved with them we'll let that be to eliminate any future redundancy. IMO you're running too much junk that is not needed in the filter, and messing with RO without having nearly enough understanding of water chemistry. A pretty good bio load & changing filters doesn't help things, read up on the nitrifying bacteria in an aquarium. While the stocking is nothing too crazy the filter changes may be an issue when combined with RO which may involve pH & hardness fluctuations, which leads you into a whole lot of water chemistry issues that may be occurring.

BTW the language doesn't bother me, 35 years in a trade makes me pretty much bulletproof to anything online or IRL. The mods may look at it a little sideways though, it's their thing to deal with.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts