Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 30 gal freshwater setup; temp is 76-78 degrees and its stocked with a single dwarf gourami (he's terribly aggressive and killed his female) 6 neon tetras and originally 3 platys. Despite having only one female and expecting the gourami to gobble up the fry...no such luck. I have a baby platy explosion going on in this tank -- probably 20 or more at any one time.

I don't want to just cull them, I'd rather have something in tank to help keep them under control. The problem is, Mr. Thane the Gourami is a jerk, and I don't know what could live with him and be big enough to take care of this. I was thinking of netting some out to feed to my betta (he's in a 5 gallon with some white cloud minnows) but that's not really a great fix, since my betta is lazy and he'd probably just end up living with the platys once they grew up.

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
528 Posts
I have a 30 gal freshwater setup; temp is 76-78 degrees and its stocked with a single dwarf gourami (he's terribly aggressive and killed his female) 6 neon tetras and originally 3 platys. Despite having only one female and expecting the gourami to gobble up the fry...no such luck. I have a baby platy explosion going on in this tank -- probably 20 or more at any one time.

I don't want to just cull them, I'd rather have something in tank to help keep them under control. The problem is, Mr. Thane the Gourami is a jerk, and I don't know what could live with him and be big enough to take care of this. I was thinking of netting some out to feed to my betta (he's in a 5 gallon with some white cloud minnows) but that's not really a great fix, since my betta is lazy and he'd probably just end up living with the platys once they grew up.

Any suggestions?

grow them out and sell em!

·
Registered
9,426 Posts
hello and welcome.
i guess a couple of choices really. indeed grow them on and sell them
to either a LFS,or friends ?
or if it becomes more than enough of a problem,re-home the male.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts