Tropical Fish Keeping banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
396 Posts
If you decide to use CO2 then you will be able to grow carpet/ground cover like Hair Grass and others, whereas they are more difficult without CO2. I don't use CO2 and I'm working with getting some Pygmy Chain Sword to grow well for ground cover. So that's my suggestion for adding to both tanks assuming you have adequate light. They branch out on runners. I wanted them because years ago when I was breeding Angelfish I got some and they were growing everywhere. I always remembered that. Of course I had too much Nitrates and the local water properties were different then. Maybe the Nitrates helped them grow, along with phosphates from the fish food and maybe Potassium from the water, plus some trace elements. I never fertilized them.

In low light situations in a small tank you don't have to fertilize that much - I just have been using Flourish Comprehensive trace elements in my 10g. Of course, I have been having problems with the plants stopping growing and BGA. If you use CO2 you will definitely have to fertilize trace elements plus Nitrogen, Phosphate, and Potassium (NPK). And the light will have to be significantly brighter. Everything runs faster, I think.

Edit: It may have actually been Ammonia rather than Nitrates that was supplying the Nitrogen. e.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.